MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/11/2012 12:08 PM

Kind of new to this ... But hi!

M1k3M1z

Hey guys my names Mike. I'm 23 years old and I've had crohns for 4 years. I don't like talking about my crohns to my friends even my close ones I just feel like I'll get pity from them and that's not what I want. I decided to see if there's any support groups for crohns and here I am and here's my story...

A little more than 2 1/2 years ago I started going to the bathroom a lot more than usual. It was midterms at college so I overlooked it as nerves and kind of forgot about it. Until it continued through past Christmas and my appetite was completely gone. On top of that I was going to the bathroom 12-14 times a day and losing weight ... fast. By time January came around I had lost 40lbs and weighed around 125lbs. I had no energy and was constantly upset because I couldn't control myself. I went through 3 months of the worst testing that I'm sure you guys all know far too well. Finally after having a colonoscopy it was clear I had ulcerative colitis and crohns ... Lucky me W00t

I was on prednisone which helped me gain my weight back quickly and remicade to help my crohns. Once a month for about 2 hours I'd receive remicade and for 18 months it was really helping with only mild flares in between treatment. However this all changed in September of 2011 when I had a reaction to the remicade and had to be hospitalized. They instantly took me off of it and if it wasn't for my nurse Kristin I really think my reaction could've been fatal. Kristin you are awesome Smile

Since September I have been finding which medicine will work for me. It has felt like Im starting fresh all over again and that I am back to square one. I'm lucky I have such an amazing support group and I really do think I am blessed. I could have been much worse off but I have not had any surgeries or anything more than weight loss and cramps.

Thank you for listening sorry for the long post

04/11/2012 01:54 PM
porknang
porknang  

I love your positive outlook!I had a mild reaction to Remicade (hives) and I am getting ready to be put back on it.VERY nervous about this.Reading stories like yours makes me want to change my mind.What are you taking now, if you don't mind me asking.

Anyways...thanks for your post. I am sure you will find tons of support here. Smile

04/11/2012 02:57 PM
starshine
starshine  

Welcome Mike, glad to have you on the Crohns site.

04/11/2012 04:10 PM
Dgwinvre

Welcome, I am pretty new here too, But they are a great group of people.

04/11/2012 05:07 PM
Shayrow
Shayrow  

I have a general question; Can you have both UC and Crohn's?

04/12/2012 05:37 AM
porknang
porknang  

I was under the impression that UC is confined to one certain part of your digestive track...where as Crohn's Disease can strike anywhere, from your mouth to your....well you know :/

04/12/2012 07:06 AM
libit
libit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

This is what I found on the differences for UC and crohns..probably more but some of the members could possibly share their their thoughts and knowledge also. Hope it helps...

Many symptoms of UC and CD are similar, but there are some subtle differences. UC patients tend to have pain in the lower left part of the abdomen, while CD patients commonly (but not always) experience pain in the lower right abdomen. With UC, bleeding from the rectum during bowel movements is very common, and bleeding is much less common in patients with CD.

04/12/2012 09:57 AM
M1k3M1z

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Shayrom- I didn't think it was possible to get both UC and Crohns but I was wrong. However, Ulcerative Colitis is curable with the right medicine. Luckily for me I don't have UC anymore but of course my crohns still hangs around.

Porknang - After Remicade I was put on Prednisone and an anti-inflammatory medicine as well which started to work really well with those two medicines my main Crohn's medicine became 6MP (Mercaptopurine) As of right now I'm on Imuran and a lot of anti-diarrhea over the counter medicine too.

04/12/2012 10:47 AM
porknang
porknang  

i am on 150mg's of Imuran a day right now and I don't feel a difference at all.I go on and off of prednisone with my flares.I HATE being on it.I always gain about 10-20 lbs and it just messes me up!!!!

04/12/2012 11:09 AM
libit
libit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Like Angie the Imuran didn't help me and going each month for bloodwork was to much for me. I was nauseated day and night on that. But glad it seems to be working for you.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved