MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/17/2012 09:49 PM

Meds not working...but complications

nozland

For about two years I have had lower left abdominal pain. I went through every test and a couple colonoscopys...after a barium enema it was discovered I had a twisted colon, so, surgery last May. Surgery went great but I didn't heal. Had another colonoscopy in June, Augest and October. The astamosis was not healing, so, in December the surgeon went in and used a "niti" miracle ring to solve the problem. On Christmas day, my gift was a toilet full of blood and since that time bloody stools. Last month another colonoscopy. I was almost obstructed. The doctor said it was weird and could not figure out what was going on. I did a genetic blood test and it came back that I had crohn's colitis. I was put on liada which was expensive and budesonide (which made me sick). The doc then tried rowasa enema's which didn't make a difference. I am now on asacol. The doc wanted to put me on remicade so I had a TB test, well, the TB test came up 6 mm, which with all my risk factors means that I am TBI . I then had to meet with another doctor, immunologist and am on isoniazid for 90 days...or more. Seeing I have to get kick the TBI stuff I can't do remicade for at least a month. In the meanwhile my insurance denies remicade. So, that is my story to now. Any suggestions on what works? I continue to have bloody stools and pain. I am tired....I also realize this is the beginning of a long road. Does diet make a difference (I hardly eat anYTHING), does exercise work (I don't feel like exercising)...heating pad helps. Any insight would be helpful.

03/18/2012 03:14 AM
JoeG2k11
JoeG2k11  

Diet makes a huge difference in your crohns symptoms,I found that alot of foods cause mild-severe pain and discomfort.I also found that taking Maqui berry and other natural supplements helped me out quite abit,I take probiotics and vitamins aswell.I dont really exercise like I used too because I cant right now with the tac line in my chest,but before I had it put in I did some exercisings on my total gym.Honestly I would stay away from exercising with weights because you dont want too put strain on your body if you can help it due too the slow healing factors with crohns.It will be a long and tough road but you will always have those there too be there cheering you on through your journey Smile

03/18/2012 07:49 PM
nozland

Thanks for your insight...appreciate it.

I am learning more and more everyday -- about what foods to eat and what not to. I haven't heard of maqui-berry. Where do you get it? I am getting more active and working on being more positive. I am starting yoga too.

I am lucky that I didn't get diagnosed or have symptoms until about two years ago---I am now 50. So I should not complain. It is an adjustment because I like food.

03/18/2012 11:27 PM
JoeG2k11
JoeG2k11  

I mostly get maqui berry from online websites,it takes pretty good and has beneficial factors.Its a new superfruit that has no sideeffects and is used for lots of things including helping lessen diahrrea and lower inflimation according too scientists.

03/18/2012 11:28 PM
JoeG2k11
JoeG2k11  

I know its tough too adjust too not being able too eat certain foods,I was 17 when I got crohns and I loved eating hotwings and bbq foods.After a while you will get used too knowing what you can and cant eat.

03/19/2012 11:44 AM
lost4good
lost4good  

Bro,

I don't have the issues like you do, but pay attention to what you eat. I find that what I like to eat is what causes the most issues. The other stuff that joe said, I've never tried, but I started drinking ensure type supplament drinks for the nutrients and vitamins.

03/19/2012 05:17 PM
porknang
porknang  

Crohn's sucks ass!!!!!

03/20/2012 10:11 AM
takilra
takilra  

yes it does!!!!!!!

03/20/2012 02:02 PM
starshine
starshine  

big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved