MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/22/2009 11:41 AM

And one more thing..

libit
libit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'd like to say that I would be very grateful if once I went to my GI and he listened and paid a little more attention to what is going on with my symptoms. And if I didn't have to ask him to compare a few tests from a short while back to the ones I recently had. What I am carrying insurance for? To ask him to do his job. Its not that complicated. If you put me on a med and I report to you the side effects get off your a** and see if your other patients are telling you the same thing while taking this drug. Get the facts for me. You are probably getting some kind of really generous kick back from the drug company, don't just ignore what is there. Sorry again for "bitching" but I'd like once for someone in this country to do just do their damn job.Angry

05/22/2009 06:36 PM
MDP

It would be so nice if these doctors understand what we go through. I have not had a GI doctor since June of '08' because he left town and at the same time I went into remission when my family doctor admitted me on 4/20 they sent a GI doctor in that said I didn't have chrons and I was thre just for pain medecine I almost hit the stupid man they have done three different test that proved I had chrons but I have an appt Tuesday with a new doctor that just moved here so wish me luck that he will help! And I hope you find you a good doctor that can help you!

05/22/2009 07:58 PM
shawnatwain
shawnatwainPosts: 382

I have had my fair share of problems with doctors but I for once have found a GI that is fantastic. I have kept records of my symptoms and even take pictures of my extraintestial symptoms (mouth ulcers, skin rash) I went for a colonoscopy today and he told me that I am one of the luckier Crohn's patients, the disease for now is not causing severe inflammation in my intestines it is rather causing more extraintestinal inflammation especially in attacking my joints. He explained to me that this happens in 25% of patients especially ones like myself who are in beginning stages. He also was nice and understanding enough to not label me as a Crohn's patient in medical records for the sake of insurance. I have no insurance coverage and he explained today that is he were to officially label my records 9 times out of 10 when I do get coverage they will label my Crohn's as a preexisting condition and refuse to cover it. He said that this has happened to patients of his before and he said that no one should have to suffer than so he didn't label my medical records. He is going to treat my symptoms and has even tried to get me as much medicine for free as he possibly can. It was refreshing to have someone so understanding especially a Dr. who was so compassionate and understanding. He did push the issue that just because he hasn't labeled me doesn't mean I can get it in my head that I am fine he said you have Crohn's its just that you are one of the few that it develops differently in so don't ignore it. He said that if I do it could get out of hand and then I will be in trouble. It was nice to know that I have a fighting chance at this terrible disease at least at this point and time. Sorry for such a long post I just wanted to reassure people that if you keep looking hopefully you can find a good and compassionate Dr. because it took me a while to find one.

05/22/2009 08:28 PM
MDP

Hello I am glad to hear you found a good doctor I go see a new GI Tuesday I hope he is better than the other three we have in our area. I also ran into the same problem as you are with the insurance company fighting over covering a pre-exsiting condition but if you have to go on asacol or even if it gets bad enough to go on remicade sometimes you can contact the companys and if you don't have insurance sometimes you can get a discount or get it for free. Thats what I had to do because my doctor instantly told the insurance company it was chrons so they denied paying any things related to the chrons so the Proctor & Gamble gave me the asacol because it is $500.00 a month and the company that makes Remicade gave it to me also because it was $10000.00 every 6 weeks so the only thing I had to pay for it was the $750.00 for the hospital to infuse the treatment. Well hope everything goes well with your doctor and I wish you the best of luck with your chrons!

05/23/2009 02:52 PM
KellyJ
KellyJ  

Shawnatwain, I don't know where you live but I wish it were in my area. My doctor is so STUPID! I would just like to slap him upside the head. I'm currently looking for a new gastro doc and one that is sincere but those are few and far between. You are sooooo lucky!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved