MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/30/2009 05:20 PM

How long do flare ups usually last?

buttoneyes

I'd like to hear from others as to how long most flare ups last. I feel that I have been very fortunate, so hesitate to complain. This flare up has lasted about one month. I have been trying to deal with it on my own, but will see the doctor tomorrow. Of course, I feel better today!...But, I have found that I will think I am getting better, then, the pain, cramps and fatigue return. I don't really want to have my meds changed, or be put on Prednisone again...probably why I have waited to see my doctor. I think when I tell him how I feel regarding changing my routine, he will wonder why I bothered coming in to see him! I read somewhere that sometimes a round of antibiotics (Cipro) can be helpful. I guess it depends on the cause of the flare up. Anyway, should I be happy that this has only been going on for about a month, or is this a normal run? Thanks everyone!

03/30/2009 08:29 PM
libit
libit  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well as you know everyones flare ups are different. But my latest one started 02/08 and ended around 12/08. The WORSE I have ever had. Went to Doctor 3 times from 02/08 until 08/08 and he kept telling me everything looked normal.I even asked him if he thought I may have an infection or needed a colonoscopy. No. Wellll, sorry I know my own body. It got so bad I was hanging onto walls and counters because I would become so dizzy. Finally I went to my PC doctor and had bloodwork and that showed the high white blood count and platelets high. Developed abdominal abcess beneath my navel that was the size of a quarter in 11/08 with a culture showing ecloi infection. Had CT scan and showed my crohns was in a full force flare. No duh. It has been a very slow recovery. Still am so exhausted and just can't relax and sleep. If this happens again and no one listens they are going to get a real ear bashing.And that is putting it very mildly.

03/30/2009 11:55 PM
buttoneyes

Wow, you have really had a rough time! Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that you will soon be enjoying a healthy life!

03/31/2009 05:13 AM
jacknifedbl
jacknifedblPosts: 5

ive been flaired up for a year now lost 112 lbs so far.....it sucks my worst yet...slowly getting better though now....

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved