MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2012 11:08 AM

scars and battle wounds(page 2)

KimMc20
KimMc20  

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I'm really glad to see people talking about these issues and offering support and understanding to each other! I have more scars than I can count due to my battle with crohns and I love everyone of them. I agree that scars are way cooler than tattoos because each one tells a story I've lived! I hope to finish college some day obtaining my masters in psych and council people with body image issues as well as other debilitating and wasting disorders.

I was misdiagnosed by many doctors for several years before they figured out I had Crohn's disease in 2002. I was told I was anorexic, had bulimia, was mentally ill or crazy, and have even been called a hypochondriac. I found out the long hard way that doctors call it practicing medicine because they often don't really know what the problem is. Many of my doctors took educated guesses and used me as a guinea pig but would often never admit they were just plain wrong.

I gained weight only after I had surgery removing my colon then slowly cutting out most of my medications ( especially pain meds) and instead using marijuana and eating several high calorie meals through out the day. My favorite was grits with cheddar cheese. I'm 5'9 and I weigh a healthy 140lbs today but my lowest weight was 75lbs.

I had been thin my entire life and could never seem to get over 110lbs no matter how much I ate. My ileostomy allowed my body to finally start absorbing nutrients and as a result I began to maintain my weight. Now I live a pretty normal life again! Sure beats living in the hospital on T.P.N and medication! I have tons of great fattening recipes if anyone is interested. Please message me! Blessings to you all and good day!

04/26/2012 11:23 AM
JoeG2k11
JoeG2k11  

Ive always been kinda skinny my whole life so I dont really care unless I go under 110lbs,cuz im like 5'6-5'7 but I dont really look that skinny atm.I guess it depends on your build because I see a few who are underweight but dont look it really.I figured out that I was getting too much protein and thats why I was burning calories,so I gained 2lbs this week after I stopped taking the protein shakes.

04/28/2012 01:08 AM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Hey Joe, Seal is on TV over here at the moment and his face has so many scars. I think he is so gorgeous and when I look at his scars all I can think of is what pain he must have gone through as some of his scars are very pitted and deep. I have a tattoo next to my scars which is a yellow rose. Yellow roses are for friendship and I got it because I decided that I was going to be friendly to me (know that sounds dumb) My scars don't define me but they make me realize that I am strong and what maybe would put other people under has just made me who I am today.

04/28/2012 04:33 AM
libit
libit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Chrissie I agree with you. Seal is absolutely gorgeous!

04/28/2012 11:22 AM
neitzke47

Two years ago I bought a pattern for a maternity dress because the majority of my maxed out weight was around my waist, which is a risk for heart disease which I already had. Plus I couldn't wear elastic waisted skirts because I had no waist line and they would eventually end up pretty close to my arm pits, and I just felt dowdy. Finally after the 2 years it took me to lose 25 lbs then Prednisone and I gained back 10 lbs tyhat I seem to be having a hard time getting rid of. I think part of that has to do with eating for comfort. Fudge cycles always make my tummy feel better, even if it isn't particularly hurting. I think it's the coolness of it in my stomach...and as far as I know my stomach isn't involved with my Crohn's yet. So, now I've heard high fiber diets are good, and then that low fiber diets are good. My doc wants to to have plenty of fiber. That could be because for quite a few years now I've had IBS with a tendency toward constipation and a history of colon polyps. I never know what to expect from day to day. Does life ever become more consistant? Some days I may have 5 or 6 stools and then mabe nothing but gas for a day or 2, then stools that aren't hard but are a little hard to move. Those are more like like my pre Crohn's days. I really don't know if I'm coming or going. I staarted this in response to something specific you said and by now I have no idea what that was. Guess thaat tells you I have some other problems as well.

04/30/2012 01:18 AM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Hey Neitzke, I have the same issues in terms of having a day with lots of bms and then having to take something to help me go. I can usually pick the signs now. I know a lot of people with CD have problems gaining weight but there are also some of us who have the opposite problem. I have lost over 40 lbs in the last few months and I know this has helped with joint pain. I also like to have something like ice cream when I am in a flare and I don't know why but it just helps.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved