MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/18/2012 03:31 AM

Husband just diagnosed with Crohn's Disease

cmtreilly

Hi, my name is Tina. My husband Bill has been really anemic and rapidly losing weight for a month - he lost 30 lbs and looked like a yellow skeleton. Stupid doc just told him take iron supplements and he will get better. He did not. He nearly collapsed last Sunday and I took him to emergency. Come to find out he has Crohn's Disease - his lower intestines are swollen and bleeding badly in several places. They have him on steroids now and doc will meet us later this morning for next steps. I know NOTHING about the disease and what do to. Need support and info here - what can he eat and not eat, what to expect, etc.

04/18/2012 04:20 AM
porknang
porknang  

Hey Tina!First of all, welcome to the group.Sorry your husband is so ill.I think he will start feeling a lot better on the steroids, and definatly gain weight!I think things usually get better once you get a diagnosis (if it is the the correct one).As far as what to eat, that varys from person to person.This disease is CRAZY.What one person can eat will throw another person into a full blown flare!A lot of people in here keep a food journal and note the foods that bother then.It is going to take a while to get things back on track.It sounds like you are a very supportive wife, and that is MAJOR in this illness.You NEED support with this illness.Also compassion and understanding.Good luck and keep us posted on how things go at the doctor!

04/18/2012 04:54 AM
neshama48
neshama48  
Group Leader

Ditto to Porknang.

Tina, as a person with CD, it is tough to see a loved one ill and your feeling helpless. On what to eat, there is no definitive diet, per se, with CD. The only food restrictions is corn, peanuts, green leafy vegetables and maybe dairy as a start. Ask your doc to give your husband a nutritionist and s/he can suggest some foods that are nutritious and Gastro friendly.

Anemia and weight loss is part of CD(I went through it). He may need iron infusions, which he can go to an hematologist for that.

CD is an individualized disease and affects all of us differently. May I also suggest the Crohn's Colitis Foundation of America(ccfa.org) for more info on CD and they may have a family support group for people like you who have a loved one with CD.

Most important--BE PROACTIVE!!! Be in touch with your GI/DR. on this matter. If the Doc is not responsive, find another, if you can.

This forum is a very supportive group with both people like me with CD and family members of those with CD. I am sure others will add their knowledge to guide you in the right direction.

Please keep us posted and all the best to your husband and you--you have a big challenge ahead!

Post edited by: neshama48, at: 04/18/2012 10:47 AM

04/18/2012 10:43 AM
starshine
starshine  

Tina,

You are wonderful to get on a crohns site just for your husband, something my husband never has done. Your support will make such a big difference in his dealing with cd.

This is a wonderful group of people who will be of great help to you.

Blessings

04/19/2012 02:18 AM
cmtreilly

Thank you so much for your responses! My husband came home late yesterday, before we left the hospital the GI doc and nutritionist came to see us. He will be off work for a week and during that time is on steroids to reduce swelling and bleeding. He will go for a CBC tomorrow and in a week see the GI doc for follow up visit. By God's grace and putting our heads together (with your help) I know we can get my husband back on track. Thanks again!

04/20/2012 02:20 AM
cmtreilly

Biopsy from colonoscopy came back, he does not have crohns, he has cancer...

04/20/2012 03:39 AM
neshama48
neshama48  
Group Leader

I am sorry--what is the next step for your husband?

04/20/2012 05:58 AM
porknang
porknang  

Ohh no!I was a little concerned when you said he was "yellow" but trying to stay positive.Let's just pray that they caught it soon enough and can treat it.I will be blanketing your husband in healing prayers, also prayers for you.Hang in there Smile

04/20/2012 01:57 PM
cmtreilly

Thanks for your concerns and prayers. Next step is CAT scan which is going on right now and then find out what stage cancer is in. Then discuss treatment options. Will keep you posted.

04/20/2012 02:02 PM
neshama48
neshama48  
Group Leader

My prayers are with your husband and you!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved