MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/30/2011 11:22 PM

To Hell and Back with Suprep

Sierra4414
Sierra4414  

Dear fellow Cronies,

I had my second colonoscopy in two years. I have decided that with modern technology they should be able to come up with some kind of prep that is not evil.

My first colonoscopy I did the Go Lightly prep. It was evil and I can never ever eat anything pineapple flavored again. The thought makes me want to hurl.

New GI new prep. Suprep = EVIL. I started with two little pills at 5:00 p.m.. It was explained that it was just a little something to get you going. HA. 6:00 the first bottle mixed with water. Then an additional 32 ounces of water in an hour. I at first thought oh this isn't bad at all. HA! I had to do the second bottle at 9:00 p.m.. By then I wanted to throw myself off a building (okay maybe a little dramatic) I got the second dose down only by doing deep breathing to keep from throwing it up. Then another 32 ounces of water. My appointment was at 7:00 am. I wanted to be first and get it over with. I was in the bathroom all night. I never went to sleep. By 6:00 am. I was telling my husband I was not going. I was never doing this again. I was never having another colonoscopy and I basically had a meltdown. I was exhausted.

My husband is a saint and talked me off my ledge and got me there. I just wanted drugs to put me out of my misery. HA. I felt the entire procedure. Next time I am going to the hospital and will be doing any future colonoscopies with an anesthesiologist. My doctor explained that the reason that it was so painful was due to her trying to get as far as she could through the land mine that is my colon.

The good news is she said everything looked good. One little polyp. I have a fistula that we know where it starts but not where is goes. The pain I have had in my lower left side is from spasms as she said that there was spasms while she was in there so that was a relief because I couldn't figure out what that pain was.

My reward for all of this is now I get to do the lower bowel follow through. YAY!

All in all the Humira seems to be doing it's job.

My one suggestion for anyone doing a prep is get an ointment called calmoseptine. It's a life saver for the raw bum from the prep.

If we all put our heads together maybe we can come up with a better prep. There has to be an easier way. I spend my life trying to keep from having diarreah. To intentionally give myself massive diarreah is just not something I enjoy.

Disclaimer LOL - This is just my experience. Everyone experiences are different. I share my experience because I know you've all been through it before and understand.

Happy New Year.

Ann

12/31/2011 02:53 AM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Gotta see a new GI in the New Year and probably have to have a colo as it's been a couple of years. It's not pineapple for me but lemon flavour. The first one I had you have to drink 4 litres of that crap in two hours. It was awful and nothing seems to have improved since then. It would be great if there was an easier way that's for sure

12/31/2011 03:09 AM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  

In the past my colos have been in the morning, so my GI has this for the day before: take 3 dulcolax at 3 pm, then start with mirolax (over the counter) with a clear beverage I like (apple juice, etc). It ain't pleasant, but it is a lot better than the Golightly or those other preps. And he said I was clean as a whistle.

p.s. Use those wipes, like Cottonelle or Charmin - whatever brand you prefer. Much easier on a sore bum.

12/31/2011 03:14 AM
porknang
porknang  

Yes Catfishes, that is the one I am doing on Tuesday.It is not great, but soooooo much better than the others.ONly I start out with 4 dulcolax, then a script of something to settle my stomach about 4 hours later...then miralax mixed with gatorade.

Also, I use Vaseline on the Bum...great moisture barrier, and I dont even try to make it to the bathroom anymore with those preps...I just strap a diaper on my a$$ and do the best I can..LOL!

12/31/2011 03:37 AM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  

Hey, wore my nappy to the doc yesterday for the "just in cases." BTW, don't forget to go to the website for your fave adult diaper - you can get a free sample, sometimes every few months.

12/31/2011 05:43 AM
porknang
porknang  

NICE!..but im not going to need one unless my bladder starts failing me.Thatwould be just my luck :/

12/31/2011 05:58 AM
libit
libit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Ann I would definitely agree, probably along with everyone here that in todays world there must be something less "evil" to help us become cleansed for those colonoscopies!! And the taste it leaves in your mouth is something you never forget!! I'm glad the humira seems to be doing the job for you! Smile

12/31/2011 08:39 AM
porknang
porknang  

Agreed!if we can put a man on the moon and clone people, surly we could find a better way of doing this!

12/31/2011 03:53 PM
Sierra4414
Sierra4414  

Thanks for all of your support and comments folks. Thank you for understanding my tongue in cheek post about something so unpleasant.

I will definitely look into the Mirilax next time. Also the the wipes ides is really good. I tried preparation H wipe and about went through the roof. Then a looked at the ingredients. Witch Hazel. No wonder it burnt like fire.

The taste is gone from my mouth finally. I don't taste salt anymore. I had a great night sleep and am just sore today but feel pretty well.

Thanks again. Smile

01/01/2012 01:55 AM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  

We've all been in your shoes - or on the pot - for the same reasons. You bet we understand! And witch hazel - what a sneaky thing to do! - how is THAT supposed to make anything raw or sore feel BETTER??? Your poor bum! The other wipes I mentioned don't have that to my knowledge. Even when it is just a regular day of chronic diarrhea, I will fight you for my wipes. Maybe even turn monkey at the zoo and fling poo at whoever tries to take them! LOL - I have been listening to Porknang waaaayyy too long!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved