12/25/2011 01:41 AM

Exercise and Crohn's

neshama48
neshama48  
Group Leader

12/25/2011 04:01 AM
Catfishes24
Catfishes24  

Aw shucks, you think of everything! Thank you!

12/25/2011 08:37 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

I start Hydrotherapy tomorrow which is great for the joint pain because it's not weight bearing. The only thing is that sometimes the water pressure on your stomach can be a bit much if you having problems

12/27/2011 11:01 AM
zaftig
zaftig  

My husband and I went on a short trip a week ago for our anniversary, and were fortunate to stay at a hotel with an indoor pool. After bouncing around and swimming a few short laps, I was amazed at how great I felt, and how little the underwater stretching made me hurt. It's prompted me to start a regime this week at the public pool a couple of miles from my home.

My two biggest concerns with it are: 1) the other end of my my fistula finally opened to my skin near my tailbone, and I'm concerned about inadvertantly soiling the water other people are swimming in, and 2) any physical activity, regardless of how good it makes me feel, increases my rate of D, and I'm worried about having an accident since it takes a while to extricate myself from the pool and run to the bathroom.

12/27/2011 11:10 AM
porknang
porknang  

I know the feeling Zaftig.This last summer I wouldn't get in the public swimming pool with my kids because of my draining fistulas.Oh well, there could be worse things Smile

12/27/2011 02:20 PM
starshine
starshine  

Would the cleaning "stuff" they put in the pool be a worry? I have this concern about a public pool that has alot of kids having alot of fun...Even the adult therapy pool worries me....maybe I just worry way to much and that is why I have crohns???

12/27/2011 02:31 PM
lost4good
lost4good  

I try hard to excercise. I even feel better after I do it, but the next day is like punishment because of the fatigue and/or joint pains that follow. My 11yr old daughter and I went on a two hour hike last week. I love hiking and hadn't been for at least six months. It was great! It felt good to get out there and hike and stretch my legs and have some good dad/daughter time. The next few days were horrible with fatigue and joint/muscle pains. Still feeling it. Excercise is a catch 22 for me. It is frustrating because I used to be in real good shape, excercised nearly everyday and now I feel like a lump on the couch, being lazy and getting fatter and fatter.

12/27/2011 11:37 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

The chlorine in the pool is supposed to kill off any germs. Lets face it people pee in pools whether we want to believe it or not. I started hydrotherapy and it was good but I had to go straight to the toilet afterwards. Zaftig I understand what you mean and I wonder if there are any salt swimming pools near you which maybe would be better for you.

12/28/2011 01:42 PM
starshine
starshine  

Wouldn't the chlorine bother the fistula??

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved