MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/05/2011 06:29 AM

Weird swollen bump under chin

murcgem64
murcgem64  

I woke up last night and my chest was hurting, right near the sternum. It felt like when you get a chest cold, but no other symptoms. This morning I wake up fine and no chest pain. Then I notice that my chin and neck hurt when stretched. I have a bump, the size of a dime directly under my chin where the jaw bone makes a V. It hurts when touched and hurts when I move. I wonder if this is a lymph node? I've always been susceptible to swollen glands when I'm sick with a cold or something, but this is a weird place. I've also noticed that my breasts are very sore. (I know, TMI but maybe they are connected?)

I'm thinking that maybe I'm getting sick from a cold or something or maybe it's just this nasty disease that does so many weird things to our bodies. I have physical therapy this morning for a shoulder and neck injury and I really don't want to move my neck as it hurts so much.

12/05/2011 10:04 AM
zaftig
zaftig  

My husband has the same bump on his chin. His doctor diagnosed it as a reactive lymph node, which makes sense since it only becomes really obvious/protruding when hubby has other symptoms of mild-to-moderate illness. I'm not saying that your case is exactly the same, of course, but wanted to let you know that you're not alone. Smile

12/06/2011 02:03 PM
murcgem64
murcgem64  

So, I went to the doc today and he prescribed penicillen. He said that it is a bacterial infection and doesn't know what caused it. I was petrified before I went, worried that I had cancer or something. He said that the two glands under the chin are infected from something in my mouth. However, I don't have any mouth sores or infections. My teeth are fine. I don't know what's wrong, but I hope the antibiotics help!

12/06/2011 02:08 PM
libit
libit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Just keep an eye on it Murcgem. I always think the worse myself. I'm sure the penicillin will work... Smile

12/07/2011 07:46 PM
murcgem64
murcgem64  

Well its been 2 days on augmentin and I'm feeling so much worse. The node has gotten much larger and extremely painful. Just sitting here is hell. My teeth all hurt and my entire chin and neck is painful. I don't think I've hurt so had since I had a dry socket after having a tooth pulled. I'm really worried that this is more than a simple infection. I also have a weird numbness when I touch the lump. It feels like I got a novocaine shot. Can I just have one pain-free day please?

12/07/2011 08:22 PM
takilra
takilra  

I'd head back to the dr. Healing thoughts sent your way!

12/08/2011 05:07 AM
porknang
porknang  

Oh my....please keep us posted!!!!!

12/08/2011 06:40 AM
murcgem64
murcgem64  

Yay! I woke up today with the darn thing even more swollen and painful. I'm so sick of weird illnesses. I called the doc and am waiting to hear back. I'm sure he will want to see me again. I have college graduation on Saturday and I'm hoping this ugliness and pain is gone before then! I also hope I don't get fired because I've taken two days off work this week and it's not Crohn's related, so FMLA doesn't apply. My job sucks lately and they are not compassionate unless you are a butt kisser. Which I'm not. I shouldn't have to be if I do my job well.

12/08/2011 07:28 AM
CDVet
CDVet  

I have had things like that before. With mine the swelling got worse after chewing or eating something and it was painful. Mine turned out to be a blocked salivary gland. And I took antibiotics and it helped. But with yours not improving with the antibiotics, I am wondering if it might be something else. Augmentin to me is like a medication from H*ll. It tears up my guts something terrible, I avoid it at all costs now. Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon.

12/08/2011 08:03 AM
murcgem64
murcgem64  

Thanks for the input CDVet. The doc said the Augmentin would be stomach upsetting. So far no problems. I'm wondering if this might be a blocked salivary gland too. Everything I found online says that this gland empties for the floor of the mouth, the cheek and the bottom row of teeth. I didn't have any tooth pain before, but now the swollen gland is making my bottom teeth hurt. Who knows! Just wish my doc would call me back soon!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved