MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/29/2011 11:14 AM

Humira Injection PAIN!!!

bendertwins
bendertwins  

WOW! I have endured ALOT over the past 9 years with this horrible disease, but todays Humira injections were by far the most painful. I had to get four of them. Any tips to make them hurt less? I did three in my thighs and the forth in my belly, and the one in my belly was the least painful. Shocked

11/29/2011 11:31 AM
Nadezda83
Nadezda83  

I remember my first four shots of Humira. I had them all in my legs. I was so weak, I couldn't walk all day. Even though the humira shots are hell to go through, there isn't much to help ease the pain. I always took two aleve 15 minutes before I gave myself the shot. During those 15 minutes, I kept an ice pack on the area where I planned to give myself the next shot. It was cold and it started stinging due to the freezing, however, the numbness of the skin tends to help. I'm sorry to say but there isn't really anything that will help take the pain away.

11/29/2011 12:00 PM
porknang
porknang  

I took Humira for a couple of months.Nevr hurt me that bad.Just kind of stung for a min or two.You all are wienies...LOL JOKING!I dont really have any advise on this one.I always took mine in my stomach.

11/29/2011 01:24 PM
bendertwins
bendertwins  

I am thinking my belly is the way too go, hurt alot less there then in the thigh! I have a high pain tolerence too...

11/29/2011 02:24 PM
neshama48
neshama48  
Group Leader

Did you pinch your thighs in the fattest part(not implying anything-Laughing )

Also if are using the pen, you can also get the preloaded diabetic =-type needle which is smaller and thinner and you may not feel eve a pinch.

11/29/2011 10:44 PM
JoeG2k11
JoeG2k11  

make sure you numb your leg with ice then pinch the fatty area before you give the injection.It stings a little less and doesnt bruise or hurt as bad after.

11/30/2011 10:03 AM
bendertwins
bendertwins  

I have plently of fat to pinch, did that yes, I didnt feel the pinch of the needle per say, it was the horrible, burning of the med going in! I will try to numb the area next time. So far no side effects from it, which is glorious! I have the prefilled pens...

03/28/2012 05:21 AM
OverTime
OverTime  

Ice never helped me. After a while I realized it was making it worse, I was cold AND in pain. I recommend sensory overload.

I was on Humira and I had a hard time dealing with the burning when the shots went in.

I refused to take them in my belly bc they did my loading dose there, and days later I was in the hospital with severe abdominal pain, and they took my appendix out, after which I could not walk for a few months bc the unnecessary surgery aggravated my intestinal condition. I decided that was too close to major organs and refuse to get any shots in my belly (I am on cimzia now).

What I did to help with the shots was, I would turn my tv up as loud as it would go until it was blaring in my ears, and then while I was on sensory overload I would give myself the injection. For some reason while my brain was trying to process all the noise from the tv, I could barely feel the shot going in.

I told a friend about this and she now blasts her ipod to give herself shots. She also says this works for her.

The burning after is still there for a while, but at least the initial injection which hurts like @(#&* wasn't so bad. Until I started doing this I could never make myself do the second shot for the full duration, I would pull it out half way and it would squirt across the room. You know, after you "burn" yourself the first time, your instincts won't let you do that again so quick.

FYI, cimzia is very thick and takes forever to go in, but it doesn't burn. I also have less side effects. Its my favorite drug of the three.

Try it and let me know what you think!

03/29/2012 08:18 AM
takilra
takilra  

i take mine out for about 30 before doing it.. i think it hurts so bad because when it comes out it's like a presure hose!!!!!

03/29/2012 02:39 PM
bendertwins
bendertwins  

Interesting stuff.....I have gotten used to the burning....I do them in my stomach. I feel it less there, as I am a road map of scars and do not have much feeling my my belly anymore.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved