MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/01/2011 12:49 PM

Crohn's Disease & Birth Control

AshCS
AshCS  

OK so i have been reading in all kinds of places about Crohns and Birth Control and how bad it is to be on BC and having Crohns even some places say they got IBD and Crohns because of the BC And said when they got off the BC they went into remission has anyone had any problems with BC and Crohns and Colitis

06/01/2011 06:47 PM
Emily09
Emily09  

i was on the depo shot from age 14 till i was 22 i didnt get crohns until i was 26 after the birth of my fist child, i was on bc pills after she was born but i never heard of bc and crohns being related. intresting but i think noone will ever really know for sure why, there could be many reasons it would be hard to narrow it down. i know its genetic for some, there are others in my family with it. it seems more and more common these days then it used to be, or maybe its just talked about more who knows, but anything is possible.

06/01/2011 09:40 PM
zaftig
zaftig  

I was on birth control since age 15. I wasn't sexually active until age 20, but considering I only had my period twice per year from ages 13 to 15, the doctors decided something needed to be done. One year on the danged Pill, and I contracted gallbladder disease (most likely exclusively due to the BC). After a Depo shot at age 18 that induced full-on menopause, I stayed of the stuff for about four years- and didn't have a period the entire time. Getting tired of the hirsutism and, frankly, feeling like a freak, I went back on BC for a couple of years. Big mistake. It made my endometriosis develop from stage I to III in only a couple of years, and made my Crohn's spiral out of control. Despite going off of BC again, I needed a full hysterectomy/oopharectomy at age 26 to regain a normal life.

I'd be hesitant to say that the birth control regime was responsible for my Crohn's. That being said, the 4-5 different types of BC I tried over the years definitely had an inflammatory reaction over my entire body, and as we know, Crohn's is an inflammatory bowel disease. Who knows for sure if there's a link, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point if there was.

06/02/2011 04:03 PM
starshine
starshine  

i also had a full hysterectomy at 31 and was on bc for about 9 yrs or so...also had the gallbladder removed...i think taking all the meds and giving away our body parts did not help the situation....

03/03/2012 12:11 PM
AshCS
AshCS  

OK so i used to post all the time about birth control and all the meds for crohns i was on them all. Finally i told myself that the meds are making it all worse so i got off them and start supplements that would help fish oil and all kinds of others. They work and finally got off my birth control best dissension ever i have been doing so good no flars for 3 months Smile

03/04/2012 04:16 AM
porknang
porknang  

I am guessing there is no connection.There are A lot of men with CD and I am pretty sure they have never been on birth control.BC may "aggravate" Crohn's symptoms, but as far as causing Crohn's...I am pretty sure that is false Smile

03/04/2012 08:54 AM
AshCS
AshCS  

Well some BC causes or aggravates CD

But yes men not sure

Supplements have a big part in health and crohns

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved