MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/22/2011 04:57 AM

Muscles in my legs are very weak

lyris
lyris  

Ever since 1999 when I had mega doses of prednisone and Lord knows what else they put into me, my legs are very weak.

I used to run, I could get up on my own from stooping, but I can't do it anymore. My legs were very strong until then.

Has anyone else have that experience?Ermm

04/22/2011 08:50 AM
zaftig
zaftig  

Yup. Although I resumed speedskating last year after a decade-long absence, my legs still were weak, and simply didn't build muscle strength despite skating for 2-3 hours per week. So frustrating! I never put enough thought into it to try to figure out why my gams weren't responding to exercise, but now you've got me wondering about the treatments I've endured for Crohn's and cancer.

04/22/2011 10:38 AM
lyris
lyris  

If I stoop I can't get up without help. I used to leg wrestle with my first ex and I used to win. I always had very strong legs until the mega doses of Prednisone.

04/22/2011 04:58 PM
zaftig
zaftig  

Your thread has stuck with me today, and the more I think about it, the more I can trace the leg weakness specifically to Crohn's Prednisone treatments. I broke my right leg last November, and although my left leg obviously toned up significantly from developing new muscle to compensate for the fractured neighbor, it still felt "wobbly" at the knee and hip. It's almost as if there's an issue with the nervous system being able to control muscle coordination. I think I'm going to bring this up to my doctor next time I see him, so thanks for starting this topic!

04/22/2011 06:39 PM
Emily09
Emily09  

im weak everywhere not just my legs, i can barley lift 10 pounds, and i have become very clumsy

04/23/2011 01:32 AM
lyris
lyris  

I was like that too when my Crohns flared up I dropped ten pounds in a week or less at a time.

Until I hit my mid forties I was in the two digit range in my weight most of the time, except when I was pregnant.

But when I was put on really high doses of prednisone my muscles became really weak, especially in my thigh area of my legs and they still are weak after twelve years.

I tried building them up slowly for years but it isn't working.

Post edited by: lyris, at: 04/23/2011 01:35 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved