MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/26/2011 05:17 PM

Blood in stool & severe abdominal pain

kdlalib

Currently, I'm undergoing testing for Crohn's.My colonoscopy is Tuesday. Here's my most recent problem. I've been on antibiotics for the past 5 days to treat bronchitis. Today was my final dose. I've been having horrible stomach pains all day all over my abdomen, not just in the lower stomach region which is what I get when I have an attack. They weren't crampy like usual, but more acute and sharp. They were severe and caused me to become nauseated. I could barely move from the pain.

Luckily the pains have almost subsided. They're more intermittent now, and a little less intense. However, when I went to the bathroom, I found globs of blood in my stool. I didn't have diarrhea, the blood was in formed stool. Not a ton, just two or three globs. The blood was a little darker than bright red, but I wouldn't say it was maroon. I've had this happen several times, globs of blood or the entire stool being maroon. However, it's never been paired with the intense abdominal pain I had today.

When I went to the GI, he did a rectal exam and I didn't have hemorrhhoids or anal fissures that he could detect. Anyone have any ideas what's causing pain and/or blood? I'm getting the colonoscopy on Tuesday, so maybe they'll see something then.

Is Crohn's bleeding only found in diarrhea, or can it be found in regular stool as well?

03/26/2011 05:38 PM
kildare56
kildare56  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lord knows I wish I had answers for you, but all I can offer is friendship and an understanding of the feelings of fear, misery and hopelessness. The answer is out there and you WILL find it. We will all be here for you.

03/26/2011 10:14 PM
lyris
lyris  

I've had the same thing, but I had hemorrhoids, which I got while I was pregnant, three times.

It got worse when the Crohns really started kicking in and I had major diarrhea and that aggravated them more. I had surgery for them in 1995.

Like Kildare I don't know what to tell you. Maybe your insides aren't used to exercising when you have solid stools.

Keep telling your doctor when this happens he or she must find out why this is happening.

I will be telling mine when I see her again.

03/27/2011 09:04 AM
libit
libit  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Thankfully having your colonoscopy on Tuesday should give you some answers. Are you just now trying to be diagnosed for crohns or have you had crohns for a while and they are doing a check up with the colonoscopy? Sometimes you can have blood in your stools from other causes. Seems like the GI has ruled out fistulas. Hang on and try to jot down some questions that you'd like whoever is taking you for the colonoscopy to ask. You most likely will be incoherent afterwards to remember to ask or even remember what the GI may tell you. All the best for Tuesday and please let us know what you find out. Smile

Post edited by: libit, at: 03/27/2011 09:06 AM

03/27/2011 09:40 AM
zaftig
zaftig  

"Is Crohn's bleeding only found in diarrhea, or can it be found in regular stool as well?"

There's handy little at-home test kits for you to do a swab test for blood in stool. I've done testing on my own stool, and every type you can imagine. I've found fluctuating quantities of blood in diarrhea, firm, and super-hard stool.

03/27/2011 11:48 AM
lyris
lyris  

Mine were with regular stools which I haven't had in years.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved