MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/22/2011 07:47 PM

If there are any vegetarians in this group...

Becca41102
Becca41102  

I've started eliminating meat from my diet and I have started feeling a little bit better. My only concern is consuming enough vitamins and minerals daily so I don't get sick. I'm just wondering for those of you that live a vegetarian lifestyle, do you get all your nutrition from foods or are you taking some kind of supplement or shot? If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate any input you may have...

02/22/2011 10:45 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

I find meat is easier for me to digest. I don't eat a lot of vegis because I find it exaserpates my condition

02/23/2011 01:37 AM
starshine
starshine  

Tongue I've read that red meat stays in your system for

three days....and as long as you steam your vegies you will be doing so much better...I think if you eat alot of fruits, vegies and brown rice etc. you will be feeling sooo much better...

What an accomplishment...

You would still be taking some vitamans ...right?????

Good job!

Grin

02/23/2011 06:40 AM
murcgem64
murcgem64  

I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years and have struggled with food because I really don't like a lot of veggies. Now that my Crohn's has progressed, I'm on a low residue diet which makes it impossible to eat some of the things that made me healthy before. (no seeds, nuts, raw veggies, brown rice, whole wheat) I've found it very difficult to stay healthy and have energy, but so far I'm not anemic and besides the Crohn's, otherwise healthy. I eat a lot of soy products like veggie lunch meat, veggie burgers, veggie bacon, veggie hotdogs and tofu. I seem to be able to digest these, but sometimes they do give me gas. I also take prenatal vitamins because of the increased amounts of vitamins and minerals in them. Sometimes they make me sick to my stomach, but hey, we're all used to that right?

With the change to a low residue diet, my Crohn's is feeling much better but I'm struggling to keep my diet varied. Unfortunately, there aren't many websites out there that deal with both of these issues and my insurance doesn't cover a nutritionist for Crohn's. Check with your insurance to see if they cover a nutritionalist. It would probably help tremendously! I'm glad to see you've decided to be a vegetarian! All the little animals thank you!

02/23/2011 01:41 PM
Becca41102
Becca41102  

murcgem64, do you eat any eggs or drink any milk? I know that there are different levels of vegetarian diet. I'm not sure yet if I will be giving up eggs, but I will most definately not be giving up dairy. In the past eggs have made me sick, even before the issues I have because of Crohn's. Of course a lot of those issues went away when I had to have my galbladder removed. I will be seeing my doctor on the 10th, I'll be sure to have him refer me to a dietition. I have been anemic all my life, my mother and sister are also. Hopefully I can get this figured out so I can start feeling better. Thanks everybody for your input, I appreciate you all. Smile

02/23/2011 04:55 PM
murcgem64
murcgem64  

Becca, I do eat eggs and dairy. I don't think I would survive if I didn't! I sometimes even eat fish, although I only do this now because of Crohn's! Protein is very hard to get when you don't eat meat, and it makes it even harder when I can no longer eat the beans that I love so much! If you are a healthy eater already, you should have no problems becoming a veg-head! Good luck to you!

03/01/2011 11:14 AM
echodog
echodogPosts: 224

I was a vegetarian for 5 years and did pretty good. Eventually as my Crohn's got worse, I had problems getting enough iron and B12. The problem is that iron supplements are very hard to digest. I started getting iron infusions and giving myself B12 shots. Eventually it felt like it was time to eat meat again. I don't eat much, maybe once a week at most but my body needed it.

I would suggest talking to a nutritionist if you can. I am fortunate enough to have a sister who is a nutritionist and she kept an eye on my diet and when I went overboard (started listening to an acupuncturist) she told me and I pulled the plug.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved