MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/14/2011 05:58 PM

not so good news..now what

Emily09
Emily09  

had another colonoscopy today and nothing is improving so he wants to stop the remicade since its not helping and wants me to see a guy in chicago because u of m hasnt helped and he doesnt know what else to do

02/14/2011 08:40 PM
Merkaba
Merkaba  

I'm so sorry to hear what's going on. It's not good when a doctor runs out of ideas...I would personally recommend my GI to you, but he's in California. He has been in the business a long time and treating many cases of Crohn's, me being one of his success stories, with continuing treatment. I trust that doc with my life. =D If you still can't find what you're looking for in Chicago, I would say try Dr. Hurwitz in Southern California.

Even in my case, I ended up having to have a resection done on me. Nothing else they could do. No amount of medication would have helped me at the time. But don't worry, things will turn out okay. Just don't give up. ^.^

02/15/2011 09:34 AM
Emily09
Emily09  

thank you, he said the worst part is the ileocecal valve? not sure what that means but i guess ill see him again soon. he really is a good dr. hes a bit boggled by this all

02/16/2011 04:14 PM
Merkaba
Merkaba  

Oh, he must mean the part where your small intestine connects to the larg intestine, a muscle that separates the two.

My Crohn's is also at the ileum, not necessarily the valve, but that whole section of the small intestine. If the valve is afflicted, it may mean it is unable to function properly, where wikipedia says it is supposed to limit contents from the colon from going back into the small intestine, as a way to manage the natural flow forward. I could see how that would become a big problem...just thoughts though, once again. I hope it helps. ^.^

02/16/2011 04:29 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Hi Emily, I have had my ileocecal valve removed as part of an emergency bowel resection. It's my understanding that it holds back the fluids that your body then absorbs which is why bms are normally solid. If you don't have one in my experience it means for me that I have dry skin and my BMs are probably loser than is normal. However with CD it doesn't really make much of a differance to me as I have issues anyway

02/17/2011 05:46 PM
Emily09
Emily09  

thanks everyone ive been really ill last few days. sore on my tounge and in my mouth are making it hard to eat and drinkSad i just want to be better again. thanks for the support

02/17/2011 06:41 PM
Becca41102
Becca41102  

Really hope you start feeling better soon!

02/17/2011 07:23 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Hope you feel better soon hon.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved