MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2011 07:57 PM

Narrowing and inflammation = PAIN

WyldFlower
WyldFlower  

Happy Valentines weekend everyone!Kissing

I have been having really bad pain on my right side it goes down into my lower back right on my spine. I am a little perplexed as to if it coming from the Chrons or my liver disease. I went and had a CT scan and a sonogram of my liver done which showed mild advancement in my disease since the last test which was in June, some of the bile ducts are enlarged and blocked off ( which is the course of the disease PSC) at the same time the CT showed thickening of the small bowel and narrowing in the small bowel loops and the lymph nods are also enlarged. With all that said, although the Chrons is very much active it's not severe, I've had much worst inflammation before but this pain is consistent and won't let up, has anyone ever experienced pain from the narrowing that the disease causes to the bowels? Its not blocked off so I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why I'm having so much pain, or is it really my liver? I go back to the doc next week for more test to hopefully figure it out because I'm in desperate need of some relief, it hurts with the more movement I do, it hurts to sit in the same position for an extended period and eating definitely makes it worst! Most of my Chrons is in the small bowel and I was supposed to have surgery on this same area about 3 years ago but they changed their minds when I got a very bad infection and had to do TPN for 2 months so I'm wondering is the pain because that area just basically has so much damage from the disease and maybe we should rethink surgery again? I don't know? any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I find I learn so much from reading everyones personal experience with this disease because even though it's different for all of us we share similar symptoms and experiences with it.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great weekend

02/11/2011 09:05 PM
murcgem64
murcgem64  

I have this pain too with strictures near the ileum. You would think the pain would be on the left side, but I nver have left side pain. I believe that the pain I have is from scarring that pulls on other organs and from the backup of feces near the narrow area. I'm having the pain pretty badly today and nothing is helping.

Sometimes I find that heat works. Keep your doc updated. Mine doesn't say much about it, but also says its not unusual.

02/12/2011 06:19 PM
youngdocwithcrohns

I also have strictures in the terminal ileum with pain on the right. that is where the terminal ileum is, so the location is not surprising to me. My doctor told me when that pain starts, to put myself on an entirely liquid diet until the pain subsides. It will help ensure easy passage of the food through the stricture.

02/13/2011 08:31 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

YOu can have partial bowel obstructions which are really painful. A lot of times I just feel like I've been kicked in the side and it's all bruised. You can get fecal overload to which is painful and means that the bowel just can't move as quickly and efficiantly as it should. Good you are going back to the DR hon but if it gets really bad you should not wait for a week I reckon. Better to get it checked out asap

02/16/2011 01:41 PM
triple1k
triple1k  

I have also have frequent partial small bowel obstructions. My GI Dr. has put me on Motillium(Domperidone). This drug is not FDA approved, but I have been taking it for almost 2 years now and it has improved the motility in my small bowel. I also take a weekly injection of Humira to keep the crohns under control. Recently though I have been admitted to the hospital every month since November 2010.

02/16/2011 04:05 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Having a really hard time with this as we speak! Just about ready to take a knife and try and fix it meself!!! All jokes aside feeling very ordinary and trying to decide whether to go to the hospital myself.

02/17/2011 04:12 PM
WyldFlower
WyldFlower  

Thanks for your responses everyone, I'm going ton see my GI in the morning and I'm really hoping to make some kind of progress in getting to the source of my pain. I just hate anxiously awaiting a appointment ( because you just know they will be able to help you) only to leave the appointment with just as many questions and no real plan! I'm really praying that is not the case tomorrow. Will let you all know how it goes . Chrissiejb and triple1k hope you feel better soon too.

02/17/2011 07:33 PM
chrissiejb
chrissiejb  

Thanks Darl. Let's know how you are going

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved