MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/23/2008 04:17 PM

Why does the pain seem worse in the evening

hopeandfaith
hopeandfaith  

I feel ilke I can tolerate things during the day but by night I am just wishing I was dead.My biggest problem is that pain meds don't work that well for me anymore.

I feel so confused and depressed. I am trying to be a mother and keep up with things, but the pain gets so bad I just don't want to deal with anything. I think just take another pill but that is my problem and now even morphine will not work for me. How do you balance being a mother, wife, housekeeper and yet be in so much pain you don't think you can make it?

09/23/2008 04:53 PM
RikaTika
RikaTika  

I know how you feel. Good luck.

09/23/2008 06:38 PM
hopeandfaith
hopeandfaith  

Tonight I lost it. I startesd slamming dishes into the dishwasher and just crying. I said I fell like I can't do it anymore. I can't keep up with things and I don't know what to do. My husband says I worry to much and the house looks fine and a lot of people are behind on laundry and everything. This is just not what I wanted my life to be like and I feel like I am lettng everyone else down.

09/23/2008 07:15 PM
drobryant

I am in pain right now as i type this. Earlier, i felt ok, except for a lot of bloating. The thing that gets me about this is that when you are feeling ok one minute and then crappy the next, people think you are faking it. I have to tell them that the pain comes in bursts and we dont control when it comes. I just wish it could be over....

09/23/2008 08:17 PM
hopeandfaith
hopeandfaith  

I agree that the pain comes and goes. Right now I feel better and I think instead of getting so upset when I don't feel good and can't get things done, I need to just take a break from everything till I am able to function at a comfortable level. I think it's just hard to not be able to do the things you want and when you want.

09/24/2008 03:40 PM
Staceyph
StaceyphPosts: 72

My doctor told me I get pain at night due to an empty stomach. Have you tried eating? Or was it like me and it didn't help.

((hugs)) it is stressful and I hope you are able to get relief soon!

09/24/2008 05:09 PM
drobryant

I was told the same thing (stomach empty). To me, it make the pain worse. Just about everybody tells me that its because "you dont EAT!" like they KNOW thats why i am in pain. I got to the point of giving up on explaining to them that its not the cause of it. how can they say they know when they dont have crohn's???

Post edited by: drobryant, at: 09/24/2008 17:11

09/24/2008 07:40 PM
hopeandfaith
hopeandfaith  

I have actually found that my pain meds work better in the morning then the evening. Today I have ha a pretty good day wit pain, but I would take a Vicodin before I even felt the pain. I was just taking it every 4-5 hours. The problem is it makes it harder for me to sleep. Vicodin has always done ths to me.But I guess if I had a choice I would take not sleeping over pain. Drobryant I undertand explaining to people and their comments. My mother tells me all the time it's basically my fault because I do or don't do this.

I guess over the years that is why I stay to myself more and more. It is just to hard for anyone to understand what we are going through.

Best Wishes

hopeandfaith

10/05/2008 05:19 PM
mrschu1
mrschu1  

Ning is the same way with his pain worsening in the evening, making it hard for him to get more than 3 hours of sleep a night...and that even seems like a lot some nights. With his Crohn's being located in his behind, and him dealing with fistulas, he's constantly waking up to shift and find a comfortable position. He usually ends up going out on the couch so he doesn't wake me, and I always feel terrible. Being a teacher, it's especially difficult for him to not get enough sleep to be rested enough to deal with the students! He tries to come home and catch a 2 hour nap, but that depends on if he's in a lot of pain when he gets home.

We've heard suggestions like going for a walk before bedtime or eating something small, but nothing really works. So to try and help the situation, we just bought a sleeper sofa, so now we pull that out at night so if he can't sleep, at least he can be a little more comfy when he comes out into the living room, and sometimes he's able to catch an hour or 2 of sleep out there.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved