MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2010 10:12 AM

New to this forum and COPD

mloma

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie in many ways. I was diagnosed with COPD a year ago, not knowing what 'it' was.

Since then, I have learned quite a bit more, altered my lifestyle (with more changes still to take place)and hope to keep this illness at bay and live a happy normal life.

I work for a pharmaceutical company here in Basel which has recently come out with a new drug. I might add it was my employer who helped me. My GP didn't and doesn't have a clue what COPD. Just that I have chronic bronchitis, and all he wants to do is prescribe antibiotics. Now that I know better (and more), I choose to be an active participant in my wellness.

Feel free to write, I'd love to have some input, suggestions, and just plain ol' listen.

05/04/2010 10:54 AM
vikingfan
vikingfan  
Group Leader

Hello and welcome to our group. What kind of meds are you on now? I'm just curious if they prescribe the same things there, as here. Do you see a pulmonologist? What do they say about the progression of your COPD?

I'm 59 and I still work full time and I am on O2 as needed. I get a lot of lung infections but they seem to be viral as they don't respond to antbiotics and I don't run much of a fever.

Keep posting, OK?

Sue

05/04/2010 01:59 PM
ray2135

Welcome Basel

You are welcome to the group and to our hearts.

Raoul

05/05/2010 01:07 AM
goopy
goopy  
VIP Member

hi mloma

welcome you will find friends here.hugs georgia

05/06/2010 09:55 AM
mloma

Hello Everyone, and thank you for your well wishes.

I have recently found out that I have COPD. I had an incident at work where I couldn't breath well, and went to the cCompany Doctor. It was there that I first heard about COPD. But was still ignorant about was was under this umbrella term.

I tend to have bronchitis 2-3 times per year, and have been having breathing problems which were really recognizable since January. Since I landed here in Europe 2 years ago, I thought it was allergies and asthma due to the climate and vegetation change. Ha ha ...

Yes, I was a smoker for many years, ciggs and pot. Quit for quite some time, and picked it up again when I came here. So perhaps I had kept the progression at bay during the non smoking phase. I'm on the decrease of daily smoking - about 4-6 ciggs per day, and going to a stop smoking class on May 21st. There are days when I'm okay to not smoke at all, other days the stress of my job throws me back into the old habits.

So here I am working for this pharmaceutical giant, who makes info available to us employees. I have taken advantage of that and boy did I get a brain full of info! Sadly I found out too late to enter a study for a new drug which is going to be released here in August.

Basically my meds have been Ventolin, albuterol, and seritide. Antibiotics when I get bronchitis, and easily remedied with a Z pack. 5 days later and I'm good to go.

I've got an appointment with a Pulmonologist on June 11 to do lung function testing, and then my initial case history. We'll see what this brings to light.

From what I've read from other posts, I seem to be a mild case in comparison. Boy, I wish everyone so much love and light, filled with the infusion of strength to endure!

Maya

08/03/2010 12:06 PM
mloma

Hello Everyone!

It's been quite a while since I've been here. Sorry for not posting, but I was on holidays for quite some visiting Italy (various parts), Germany ( my hunnys country), and Hungary ... whew what a whirlwind of 6 weeks!

So - update on my COPD ... I don't have it. After having a CT and bronchoscopy, and an array of blood panels, the conclusion is that I have outrageous levels of allergies. That would also explain why the inhalers didn't work as expected but the steroids did.

I began my first dose of Xolair 2 weeks ago, had my second set of shots today. Let me tell you!! Two hours after the injections, I was able to walk 3 flights of stairs without panting and gasping for air. And my Doc says it's going to even gett better over time! Yippie! I noticed over the WE that it was wearing off, which is quite natural. Apparently it takes a bit to build up the fighting levels against the IgE's. The protocol is to take the shots every 2 weeks and after the 4th shot it's every month.

I'll have a lung function test on the 31st to verify how well it's working. The insurance company wants their proof! The stuff is terribly expensive, can be dangerous (anaphylactic shock possible) and needs to be injected under medical supervision in the hospital. Personally, I have had no negative side effects thus far.

You're probably wondering about doing allergy testing. Since the Xolair stops allergies from occurring at the stem level, allergy testing at this point is futile. And quite frankly, I'm not willing to trade off being able to breath in order to know what I'm allergic to.

So, we'll see how this all comes along as time goes by. I'll keep ya'll posted. I hope that everyone is keeping their Light active, and producing healing in abundance.

Hugs to all until next time,

Maya

08/03/2010 05:14 PM
auntdee
auntdee  

Hi Maya,

Thank you for your update. It is good to hear that you do not have copd. And glad to hear that you are getting the help you need for your allergies.

Keep us posted as you feel better and better, ok?

I liked what you said about the Light and abundance of healing. That was beautiful.

Take good care of you.

Hugs,

Doris

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved