MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/01/2012 06:22 AM

copd stages

patty24

Good morning everyone.Real bad night sleeping as always.I have A question.when I was first diagnosed with stage 4 copd.I came home and searched on my computer for life expectancy with stage 4.Now I was told this about 3 years ago.So now I think I only have A year or less to live.Does anyone know how sick you get toward the end.I want to die at home with hospice help but my 12 year old grandaughter lives with me and my husband and son.I dont want to scare the devil out of them.I have A dnr already so I just want to be made comfortable with the help of my Dr.She is great I really like her shes really nice.But when I ask her A question about this she says maybe tomarrow,next week ore next month then just smils at me.My oxygen now is 4 when doing nothing and 6 when im up.So I really dont do to much anymore.Even with my oxygen I really wheeze.And the elephant on my chest is a permanent occupent lol he never leaves.So any information you have for me will be well appriciated.tyvm

06/01/2012 09:29 AM
floridian
floridian  

Hi Patti! I have mild copd and have had no family members with copd, so I really don't know how bad it gets in the end. I think that would depend on your age, whether you had other medical issues and possibly your type of care. Those life expectancies are just guidelines to go by. I expect to be around for a long time. Death is hard to predict. My brother-in-law had a massive hard attack 15 years ago and doctors said he probably wouldn't last 5 years. He's now in hospice but he's surprised everyone before so who knows really? I'm sure someone else will be along who maybe can give you a better answer. Welcome to the site though and feel free to post anytime.

06/01/2012 01:14 PM
goopy
goopy  
VIP Member

Patti

Please dont go by what it tells u about how long we are expected to live. I was depressed so long because I read what was on computer and listened to what my doc said. My Doc est 5 yrs and that was 7 yrs ago and I am still going strong. I wear 02 at 2l I feel like I need more at times but they told me never to go above 3l because I retained co2 so I stay at 2 and just move slow. I wear mine 24/7. With that said unless I am sick in infection I can mostly do what I want with prepration such as making sure my 02 is full and my spare also when I go somewhere. I have a lg one I can fill from in my car if I spend the night somewhere. Make sure I have my cell phone for emergencies and such as that I still go shopping and do a lot atound my place cause its only me. So tell me did they tell u what ur breathing test showed like how much function ur lung have? What can u still do are u stuck mostly at home tell us some more about ur condition cause as u will see we have members from mild to very severe like me and we all bacicly have the same complaints. Dont let them put a time on u also a lot is in ur additude toward life I know urs must be good cause u said u have ur grandaughter living with u so I know that makes u want to stay well to take care of her. Ok I will go now so someone else can get on to say hello to you. You will learn soo much here just hang with us and ask any questions u have. Bless u Georgia

06/01/2012 03:24 PM
patty24

I really dont do much.I stay in my room moost the time.I have less then 30% lung compacity.on ox 24-7 Im at 4 when Angry I am doing nothing and 6 if I get up to move.When im on my ox at 6 and moving I wheeze alot very loud sometimes.I have A wheelchair but still have not gone out with it,I dont like to bother my family for things so except for dinner which my hubby makes,I get what I want.Most the time i dont feel real well but I go down and wash dishes sometimes.I wish i could vacume and clean but I just cant do it.I only need to walk a few feet and i cant breath.when I went to hosp.4 tests they took me for that walk they always do and she was watching my ox level and keep saying stop.it took forever and I almost finished lol.so there is a bit about my condition and most of my life lol.So gonna say hello to hubby who just got home thank you friend ttyl

06/01/2012 05:02 PM
smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

patty hey,, im stage 4 also, on oxygen to but im at 2 at rest and 3 when walkin cleaning, the reason u can be wheezing so bad when ur on 6 is that can be to high for u, did they tell u to much 02 is no good for anyone copd it can cause u to retain c02,(carbon dioxide) then ur reli in trouble, mention it to ur dr, i do my own stats which is most of the time 95-98, yet i cant breathe to save my life, i was in icu my 02 read 99% my heart was 155,my lungs werent workin, no air moving, so they need to check that.. gota be so careful with copd ,02 c02. my lung function is 22% & 14% walking.. try doin streches even from ur chair.. and always rem babyyyy steps,lol that took me forever to learn, im still getting use to that lmao did they say u can qualify for a lung transplant.. iam on the list for one now..

Post edited by: smokeyjo, at: 06/01/2012 05:04 PM

06/01/2012 07:41 PM
vikingfan
vikingfan  
Group Leader

I have to agree with Georgia and Jo. I'm in tough shape right now but I push myself to the limits as much as I can tolerate. I'm not saying that's what you should do, it's just the stubborn German in me LOL.

I say live til you die. Go on You Tube and do some sit down exercises and breathing. If you can't do it, at least you tried. There are a lot of Dr.s that just think once we are on 02, it's all over. Boy do we have news for them. Georgia was pretty much told to go home and die at one point, but tuff old bird that she is, she said Ain't happening and she's still going strong. We all have good days and bad days. Just have to really use the good ones to the limit.

Hope you don't think we are overbearing, it's just that we have been where you are now and it's no fun at all. Hang out with us for a while, never know, it might help a little.

Sue

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved