MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/21/2012 04:38 PM

swollen calves, feet and ankles

tigerstripe6
tigerstripe6  

i am having a real problem with swelling feet and ankles and a doctor told me it could be from the copd. i went to emerg and had tests and was given a diuretic. also said it could be my fatty liver. anyway, has anyone experienced swollen feet? i can't find anythingg on the internet either. feedback appreciated.thanks, very scared about this.

05/21/2012 06:36 PM
goopy
goopy  
VIP Member

Hi Tiger

Yes I have same thing but mine are not extremely bad but it is all the time. I am sure it is because of lung problems for me but u may have something else going on heart trouble will also cause swelling so I wouldnt panic but u do need to see ur Doc if this is new.Huggs

05/23/2012 12:58 PM
floridian
floridian  

Hi Tiger, Have you found out what's causing your feet and ankles to swell? Just curious! I know people who have had that happen but they had gout. Let us know what you find out.

05/23/2012 05:04 PM
smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

tiger hey,, very true can be from copd when u retain water.so he ur dr shouldve checked you out, also it can be high salt intake/ high blood presure, elevate ur feet at rest or when you go to bed ,that helps, im just beggining that part of copd with my feet ankels and my hands, i use a pillow for the feet when iam in bed, hope u feel better soon.

05/23/2012 05:10 PM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello and welcome, I get swelling in my feet and ankle but besides COPD I also have congestive heart failure. I agree with gals get checked and see what is going on. HUGS River

05/23/2012 05:22 PM
smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

river i cant get that to open up to talk to u dot think im ignoreing u

05/24/2012 12:52 AM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

JoJo I now the chat works maybe half the time Love you

05/25/2012 04:52 AM
sassym
sassym  

I have problem with "swollen feet" (actually the swelling is called edema) and it is usually up into the legs as well, it is just not as pronounced! Remember I am not a physician, I speak from my own experience! Obviously there are multiple medical diagnosis that are made, for me a few of the identified culprits is diabetes, COPD, pulmonary hypertension, and self-inflicted over indulgence in salt! I also have trouble with medicines causing it. Some have been obvious like the steroids, inhalers, but now I find that pain medicine like vicoden causes it too! Oh! can't forget seasons of watermelon, things we like salt on! I get too embarrassed to go out! I have even wrapped up my legs in ace wraps during night, so in the AM they won't be so bad! I know my retired RN brain knows this is not a good idea! The usual treatment of diuretics, such as lasix, don't work real well on me, so I have to take a combination of meds. THEN it is okay! I took my "tinkle pill" camp in the bathroom for 3 or 4 hours. Cause when I have to go...there is no waiting! Never take it a night, unless you just do not want to sleep! And what seems like counter productive...drink a lot of water, a lot, lot of water! Then that snowball gets to rolling and you may get muscle cramps from a sort of dehydration in muscles, need lots of calcium, magnesium. YES! you must seek doctors care! One of the most frustrating of things is that they may not have a specific diagnosis, just a symptom to treat! Sorry to go on...this is one of those things that really bothers me because it is uncomfortable, it is physically notable if you do not wear long pants, (I know it is probably a girl thing for me", and the not knowing why, but it is right there ease to see, gets me frustrated some times. Now..I will feel better for a few years, thanks for the chance to let me get it off my chest! will ad more when I think of other things I have done on my own to help! sassym group leader ards (come see me)

05/25/2012 05:42 PM
tigerstripe6
tigerstripe6  

thank you for the response on my swollen feet and calves, i am very frustrated too, i spent 7 hours in emerg to find out that they didn't know what was wrong. script for lasix and see your doctor, emerg doc said it could be meds, diet or emphysema which i have probs with all 3. why can't they narrow it down some because something is obviously not working right!and they hurt too. been on pills for 4 days now and they have gone down a bit but they are still swollen and sore and it worries me every time i look at them. i can't wear normal shoes right now either so i can't go anywear. do you know of any shoes made for swelling that are comfortable?i too am somewhat vain at the looks of them especially now that summer is right around the corner and shorts and sandals show them off very well,lolAngry does this stuff happen as we get older because i definitely am not growing old well. i'm 49 years old and i have things wrong with me that most people don't get till they're in their 60'sDizzy anyway, any more news you can send my way, please do and i'm glad it gave you a chance to get things off your chest too lolLaughing thanks again, keriSilly

06/11/2012 11:44 AM
PAGIRL48

Hi Tiger,

My name is Gail and I have been AWOL or MIA. I am the primary caregiver for my hubby - a COPD patient. His COPD is considered severe, or Stage 4 or end stage depending on who one is talking to.

He has had swollen feet, ankles, and legs on and off for years. He has the edema right now.

I can only tell you what he has experienced (I am not a doctor, nurse or a medical professional). When my hubby's feet, ankles and legs are swollen - his doctor has referred to it as congestive heart failure. He seems to go in and out of it. According to the test results - he has no heart damage even though he has had heart attacks brought on by this a couple of times. I can tell you that they say 1. elevate your feet and legs when you are laying down, 2. cut back on the salt intake and 3. drink lots of fluids - water especially.

The one doctor prescribed a stretch stocking that had to be put on while he was sitting down, first thing in the morning before he stood up, and the toes were cut out. They cut off the circulation in his toes and they turned purple.

Right now - my hubby's feet, ankles and legs are swollen. The swelling goes up to the bottom of his knees. I bathe his feet every day, put lotion on them to help with dryness and cracking, and diabetic socks. His feet are very swollen - he usually wears a size 10 shoe but with the swelling - he is wearing a size 12. As far as shoes are concerned - especially with summer here - he wears a sandal. The sandals I look for have no strap between toes - you can slide in and out of them. Also, they close over the foot between the toes and the ankle and attach with velcro. In fact he wears them all year long now - because if the swelling goes down we can open the strap and close it tighter - we open it and adjust the closure to make it more loose if the swelling is more. I found the slippers he has now at JC Penney's. With summer here this is a good time to look for something like that. Look in any shoe store or in the shoe department by flip flops. The shoes/slippers/flip flops he is wearing now are by Adidas. Don't know if I am remembering right but I thought they had some in colors for women.

I don't know about you but there is an unpleasant odor when the swelling is bad.

Normal shoes? "Normal" is just a setting on the dryer. :>Wink

Don't know if I have helped any - but I hope it helps just to know you are not the only one with the problem.

Take care and have an easy breathing day.

Gail

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved