MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/04/2012 04:38 AM

My 86 year old mother icuand cant wean off vent

DaughterCare

She successful got off ventilator for 24hrs and then had to go back on.There was fluid on the other lung and the put a chest tube in and lung ar draining well.She has since been unable to wean even though she is doing most of the breathing and her saturation levels are good.This is her first real major hospitalization.There are no other comorbidities besides the copd.The doctor told us he did not think she word ever get off the ventilator and we should consider letting her go,or set a defined time limit and theen let her go or put in a trach and get her to a acute care center. He added that he did not think it was a real option and that she would never go home and never have a meaningful life.We are going to try the last option and give her a chance. We have talked to her and she indicated she still wants to fight. I am looking for ways to ease her fear and anxiety until we can get the trach in.Also,I am hoping to hear from someone to get an idea about what to expect as we go along.

04/04/2012 05:09 AM
vikingfan
vikingfan  
Group Leader

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but unfortunately, I don't. I never give up hope but also prepare myself for what may come. Just the fact that your Mom indicated she wanted to fight is encouraging to me. No one controls our destiny, at least here on earth.

Take it one day at a time, it's all you can do right now. You and your family and your Mom will be in my prayers. Keep hoping for the best outcome.

Sue

04/04/2012 05:18 AM
goopy
goopy  
VIP Member

Hello Daughter

I wish I could answer ur questions but thank GOD I have not been there yet been close but no vent and I doubt I will be put on one cause I have informed my son I dont want to linger on vent and this morning I go finalize the paperwork om my will. Hopefully someone besides me can help.I will say it depends on her fight and what hers pulmonary stats are before going on a vent. Age makes a difference but if she is in good health otherwise that is good too. So u see there is so many things to think about but in the end if she is alert enough to tell u she wants to fight then I would say thats the right thing to do because this is her life and I would try to do what she wanted. Don't just take my advice listen to others here on the board and stay in touch with ur mothers feelings she will let u know when she is tired and ready to give up. Glad u decided to seek some help we are glad to try. Here is a comforting hug!!

Georgia

04/04/2012 08:12 AM
floridian
floridian  

Hi loving daughter, I don't have alot to add since I've never been in that kind of situation myself. Sue and Georgia kind of summed it up best. It's a tough situation to be in, but I just want you to know we're here for you and will pray God gives you the strength and the wisdom to do the right thing! Rachel

04/04/2012 05:46 PM
cmorecmore
cmorecmore  

Hi All

This happened to my mother. She went in for surgery after a life of cigarettes and daily alcohol intake at age 71. She stayed on a ventilator for 14 months and then died.

She stayed in ICU for the first few months. The hospital staff tried several times to move her to an acute care facility. Each time she would lose heart beat and back in to ICU she would go. Finally they got her into acute care facility, where she stayed until she died. While in the acute care facility she had a hard time communicating because of the ventilator. My father visited her every day. He ruined some of the nurses figures with all the candy he'd bring in.

My wife and I have the do not resuscitate clause in the wills.

Be prepared for a slow wasting situation if your mom stays on the ventilator for very long. It hurts to have to tell it like this, having a hard time seeing the keys through tears.Well that's how it happened with my mom.

I hope she pulls through.

cmore

04/05/2012 04:07 AM
vikingfan
vikingfan  
Group Leader

Sorry you went through that cmore. It must have been so hard.

04/05/2012 04:55 AM
DaughterCare

Not as hard as the "talk" that doctor gave.My brother and I and Mom are going to try a trach.They are going to put it in today.The hope is that she will be more comfortable and less aggitated and worried.We hope this will lead to successful weaning.She continues to do most of the breathing and is holding steady.This is the 17th day for her in ICU.She is surprising the physical and occupational therapists with her strenght.One of the chest tubes has been removed.Her heart continues to be in good shape given that she has copd and is 86. All these factors have given us hope that time may not be the enemy. As long as she does not show signs of physical weakening and is wanting to fight we hope this will be the right choice.

04/05/2012 04:57 AM
goopy
goopy  
VIP Member

Yea tough on u and mom. I just know I don't want that.I hope I don't sound Morbid here but I have a nice place under a shade tree beside my husband waiting on me. Mind u I am in no hurry but there comes a time when we are ready and we all know for ourselves when that is. Oh and above that GOD know when its our time.

Now on a liter note good morning everyone hope this finds everyone in good shape and breathing good. I have been better since weather warmed up I hope it holds out. I went to wal-mart and bought 2in a pkg of those big red baloons u know the kind that blows up huge and I blow it up every morning to str my muscles and I think maybe it might blow off some co2 who knows I dont think it can hurt anything. Treadmill is getting a little easier so time to go a little farther than 1/2m now. hope i can stay this good all summer u know I still struggle some but I can manage it ok right now.

Wish some of our old timers would start posting again we miss yall. everyone have a super day. I plan on working in yard today. Anybody else got interesting plans today or coming up soon?Smile

04/05/2012 06:18 AM
sassym
sassym  

The absolute best thing your mother needs, she has! Her family! I have been there, done that! With both of my parents and to some extent myself. Unfortunately my Father died at age 53, my Mom 10 years later at age 52. I am still alive at age 61. My father had no vent issue. He died after suffering a stroke during surgery to remove cancer from his throat, lymph npde in neck. My mother died 3 months after being told she had small cell lung cancer. She was in her home as she had requested, where the family had gathered to be with her. OKAY! I need to get to the point! I have been in a coma 4 times since 2/2005. One minute I am okay, I have some type of allergy response and within 8 hours my lungs fill up with fluid, I am in a drug induced come. It is Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrom (ARDS), which has a high mortality rate, so I am blessed that I have survived it 4 times. Each time my husband was told I would not make it. he first time was exceedingly bad. When they mentioned doing CPR or not to my husband, he ignored my Do Not Resusitate instructions. Thank God! I know that there are times that DNR is appropriate. I am a retired RN, and have experienced working with families when they worked through this most difficult decision. Being with your mother helps her anxiety and fear! I did not experience pain, anxiety, or fear while I was in a coma. When you first start waking up is the when the fear, anxiety, depression hits hard! My experience? I was aware of being touched, voices, and presence of my family and friends. As far as having a "meaningful life"? Are they saying she is in a vegetative state, no chance of communication? I will be che4cking back i, my prayers are with you and your family sincerely sassym

04/07/2012 02:15 PM
smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

Hi Daughter, iam stage 4 copd, have been in the hosp 2xs in the past 6 wks due to exacerbations, I was in icu for 6 days on bipap machine.& im alot younger then ur mom,Smile I agree with sue and sassy, If shes indicating she wants to fight then by all means you have to respect that to a point, I did my proxy papers and said no venting let me go, well, this time i was in the hosp, I was thinking very hard and strong. my friend laura who had alil more then just stage 4 copd, had a colon surget, had to be vented, it took her a while but she came off in i think it was 2 months, they put her trach in b4 xmas, she was home after new yrs, so in feb i was hospitalized I thought of her and i thought, hey, if i dont get vented thats saying i gae up,just like that gave up, i have 4 kids, what would they think.my daughter whos becoming a nurse herself.so i spoke to my dr about changing the papers, i said only if iam in a brain dead situation,pull it immeditly.. or if by 4 months i can get off,pull it .. then my kids and family no I tried. my daughter said thank you good. she knows exactly what i want and dont wantso her and her dad my husband will work together. so if ur mom has the fight in her, go for it. but i agree see where it brings her. and i will diffently be praying for you all. plez drop in and let us all no about ur mom and how u guys re doing. my mother had copd too sassy my mom after 15 yrs not smoking also had small cell lung cancer ,she died 2010 aug, 4 wks from her diagnosed.. sorry to hear about ur mom sassy. copd is what i call the complicated dsease or sure. xoxoxox

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved