MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/12/2011 10:59 AM

quit smoking

smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

Hi everyone, well, my name is joanne, iam 53 yrs old and have been smokin 40 of them, i smoked 2-3 pks aday and i quit on nov 1st on lung cancer awareness month in honor/memory of my mother who died in aug 2010,was healthy,so we thought, she quit smokin 15 ago wen she was told she had copd, she never smoked agian, she was hospitalized july 5th,diagnosed the 14th and died the 4th of aug,iam seeing alot of ppl wana quit but dont know how,well, if u dont mind me saying so, i wana tell u about a support group that maybe can help u,they did me, i was so weak wen it came to smoking, i found and used everyexcuse to smoke, my mother was dying, i smoked more, she died i smoked 3 or more pks a day, i surely wasnt thinkin right and i have 4 kids to think about, i also lost my job 6 wks after my moms death, so I deserved to smoke right haha well, nov 1st i found a website on accident, called become an ex.com, i figured if i stoped even an hr, for my mom it would be worth it, but with there help i made a day,2 days and so on, today because of them and the friends i made there IAM proud to say Iam 130 days smoke free, and now im also stage 4 copd with end emphysema, just had a c/t scan and showed a nodual so i went for pet scan,now waiting on results, but i ask myself everyday what the hell took me so long to quit, I can only come up with i think i was afraid of quittin, i smoked so long that it was all i new, i shoulda been afraid of what will come later on in life but i didnt, so here iam today, and u no what, threw all this shit, i still get the feelin sometimes that id like a SICKORETTE Smile But ill go there and blog it out and im ok, so for anyone who wants to quit, go there, my name there is jojo and ill be happy to help anyone quit, smokin sucks but cancer sucks more Smile)) well, with alil faith and believe in yaself u can make this happen and we will all live alittle longer. so be strong and rem, u can do it,if ya need help just ask me,u wont be sorry. I do feel better, i put on some weight,I needed it, i was 94 wen i quit, im now 110 Smile) so think about it. (BECOMEANEX.COM) well have a great day guys and feel good. Joanne..

03/12/2011 11:36 AM
patty777

Thanks Joanne

You just made me put out the second cig I lit today!!!

OK , I got it...if I want to live and feel good I HAVE TO QUIT!!!

THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT POST!!!!!

03/12/2011 12:00 PM
smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

Tongue hey anytime,no problem lol. i no it sucks but we gota do what we gota do right, we started the shit now we got end it,listin if u feel the urge to smoke, get a straw cut it down to the size of a cigg, and smoke in the freash air LMAOLMAO ,Its a hand to mouth thing for me,so thats what i did and let me tell ya, it freakin worked, i didnt drink for a while b/c drinkin and smokin go together so wen i did, i had 2 beers but ..but.. i had that straw in my pocket used it and saved my ass, we have to protect our quit, i dont do the straw thing as much but wen i know im gona drink, that straws goes with me hahaha so, u can do it. but reli try the straw thing, i bet itll save u too. joanne.W00t

03/12/2011 01:39 PM
meemame1
meemame1  

Joanne what an awesome bit of advice you just gave to those who are having a hard time quitting!!!!!! I quit on October 22,2010, that is when I got admitted into the hospital (stayed 10 days that time) and was diagnosed with stage 4 copd!!! So it was a bit easier to quit in the hospital they gave me the patch and after 10 days it wasn't as hard.. But I totally get what you are saying when you said you may have been afraid of quitting, I was.. I had smoked so long that I didn't know any other way to be!!! So all of you who are trying to quit, listen to Joanne!!! Good luck to you guys and I know you can do it!!!!

Laura

03/12/2011 01:44 PM
vikingfan
vikingfan  
Group Leader

Awesome advice Joanne.

If you go to light up after you quit, always say out loud, I'm a puff away from a pack a day. It's true!!!!!!!

Sue

03/12/2011 04:12 PM
smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

HEY Laura, thanks, glad i can help, and dont give up,just hang in there and enjoy the good life Smile)) and sue thank u very much, also i want to emphisize one more thing, YOGA, I started it when i quit,and its helped me tremendisly, it gives off energy, releives stress, tension in ur musscles, its grt for copd,emphysema, it keeps the lungs working which is very important for us, and u will feel better, I highly recomend it, sue wen u say im a puff away from a pk a day, ur not kidding, i quit 8 yrs ago,not for long tho, i was drinkin,i thought i had it all under control, one puff and i was right back to where i was a month b4 that,so imagine it took so much work,to screw it up in 2 seconds,so n.o.p.e. (NOT ONE PUFF EVER) LOLSmile)

03/12/2011 04:20 PM
vikingfan
vikingfan  
Group Leader

I'm so glad to hear you talk about Yoga. I tried to get Yoga going here quite a while back but got shot down real fast. I really enjoy the stretching and the breathing part of it and you are so right that it does wonders for COPD people. I wish I would have known how relaxing it was when I quit smoking. I just ordered some new DVD's for yoga and beginning exercises. I had let my exercising go when I was sick and now I need to go back to square 1 and build up to it.

Sue

03/12/2011 05:10 PM
meemame1
meemame1  

Hey Joanne, I totally love that n.o.p.e.!!!!!! That is awesome!!!!!! Do you think I would be able to do yoga with my bad bad back??? i would love to be able to do that....

Laura

03/12/2011 05:59 PM
smokeyjo
smokeyjo  

Laura, yea,, u can, they have a site, realage.com made for ppl with e, & copd to excersie sitting down go there and go to vidios, click it and they have so many there, even good lookin dr oz is there with yoga, and all, its not bad, on my bad days i do the sitting ones,and sue yea, yoga is the best thing, it works too.mentaly and phyisicaly also.I just bought a new dvd, its AM/PM One for morning which is 30 min and one for nite which is mayb 10-15 & its all streching and deep breathing,soo relaxing, glad ur into it sue, my pulmo said its the best thing i can do for me Smile)) so girlsss chop chop get the yoga going strong haha

03/13/2011 12:15 PM
meemame1
meemame1  

Joanne, thanks for the info!! I am def gonna look into it!!! I have always heard good things about yoga and God knows i sure can use some relaxing tips... Stretching should be good for my back huh? Well I will get going on this for sure!!!!!

Have an easy breathing day!!!!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved