MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/07/2008 05:46 PM

My mom is getting really bad

foxyroxy1
foxyroxy1  

My mom has emphasema w/copd. She is now starting to shake bad and drop things. Plus confusion is becoming a problem too. She was diagnosed 5 years ago and was given a 3 year life expectancy. She is on 3 to 4 l of oxygen. I am really scared. Anyone ever hear of these simptoms? Should I ready myself? Its all I think about and I am becoming so depressed because of it. I am thankful for the time I have had but I am not ready to lose her yet.

06/08/2008 05:55 PM
DoDo
DoDo  

I can't say, my mom spent the last year or so of her life in the hospital. Besides copd, she had many other issues going on.

I will keep you and her in my prayers.

06/08/2008 06:05 PM
foxyroxy1
foxyroxy1  

My mom actually ended up in the hospital last night. She has to much co2 in her blood. They have her sedated for now and have her on a breathing machine but they are talking about a treach. They may wake her tomorrow. I am really scared for her, she has a tough decision to make.

Thank you so much,

Angie

06/08/2008 07:24 PM
DoDo
DoDo  

I am so sorry Angie, I know where you are right now, we were there in 2005.

You have us here, I know that does not sound like much right now, but, we care!

Your friend,

Lorna

01/11/2009 06:47 PM
TaliasMummy

Angie,

My mother had the same thing happen to her aswell. She was a co2 retainer. When that happened she acted delarious and she would shake and drop alot of drinks and other things. When she got bad they would put her on a ventilator and she would be off of it the next morning and then other times she was able to get the co2 out of her body herself. My mom has since passed on Dec 29th 2008, of this disease. I will pray for you and your mom, the best thing for you is to think positive and keep your chin up.

03/29/2009 08:51 PM
TampaKevin

My mom died two weeks ago. Here was the progression if it helps you know what you might expect. I am not giving this to scare you but to let you know what to expect so that you don't get scared by the uncertainty.

My mom was diagnosed 7 years ago and we were told she had about 5 years left. She lasted 7.

She gradually declined over time as her lungs were not able to properly exchange her gases.

Last summer was the beginning of the end. She had an episode of pulmonary failure and we thought she was going to die...put her in hospice...but she rallied and eventually even went home, albeit with home hospice.

She went back in the hospital briefly in January with a somewhat minor episode.

Over this time it was obvious that her health was declining and she was struggling to breathe and even do simple things.

I saw her the last week of February and she was bloated all over. Prednisone was causing this and giving her "moonface."

A few days later she checked herself in to the hospice facility to see if they could alleviate the swelling. While there she went into cardiac arrest and was rushed to the hospital.

During this stay the resp therapist gave us a rundown of her cases. Her O2 was good but her CO2 was even worse than usual, and she had been retaining CO2 for a while.

They managed to pull her out of life or death but for a few days she was loopy with the CO2 on the brain...hallucinating, partially coherent...it was tough to see.

They got her over that and checked her into a nursing home to do rehab. I saw her last on on Feb 12th. She had no energy, wouldn't eat, and kept telling me that she was tired of fighting. She kept saying she couldn't breathe. I asked what she meant and she said she couldn't catch her breath. She also kept saying her back hurt. I told the nurse that I was going to move her to hospice the next day, and to give her a sleeping pill and some Ativan. I kissed her and told her I'd see her the next day. This was at 11 pm at night.

Two hours later I got a call saying they were taking her to the hospital...she was in cardiac arrest.

That was it...I got the hospital as they wheeled her in, and had to tell them to stop trying to revive her.

04/01/2009 09:40 AM
CarrieUCF84
CarrieUCF84  

Hey Kevin,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your mom's passing. It sounds like you both had a rough year. My mom was diagnosed 10 years ago and after a stint in the hospital in 2004 we were told she had 2-4 more years. She passed away last September after a 4 week stay in the hospital. She was on life support the whole time. The problem was that they were never able to wean her off the ventilator. Its so hard to watch loved ones struggle for breath and have no way to help them. I know that posting this information is necessary and many will appreciate it. Hugs and prayers to you during this difficult time.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved