MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/08/2012 09:44 AM

??? Hyperglobulinemia -Say What??!!

booky1961
booky1961  

We got a scary phone call this morning. Last week my Hubby's primary care doctor ordered a blood test to get a baseline amonia and liver funtion and I asked him to add INR. He wanted Serum Creatinin but the lab couldn't do it that way. (Don't know if that made any difference).

Anyway doctor's office called this morning and told us to go right away and get another blood test Serum Protein Electrophoresis and ImmunoFixation and at the bottom of the script it said DX: Hyperglobulinemia.

I looked this stuff up and didn't get anywhere.

This is scaring the crap out of us! Does anyone know what this means? I have a copy of the blood tests and the numbers she mentioned are high.

Help? Silly Blink

05/08/2012 10:48 AM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Hi Booky - I found this reference

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18265652

however I would think Dennis will be along to break it down into what it actually means in layman terms....Don't freak out yet - I've never heard of it but know it has something to do with Globulin and Cirrhosis. Hang in there - scary news to anyone esp. w/o knowing what it really means! Ru

05/08/2012 11:06 AM
booky1961
booky1961  

Hi Ru;

I read that one - didn't make any sense to me, did you understand it? Lot of gobbldygook to me.

05/08/2012 11:24 AM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

I'm still reading it - hoping that Dennis can break it down for us - I can't even tell if it's something serious? And I've had a LOT of medical training. Dennis - where are you - we need you Smile Ru

05/08/2012 11:39 AM
IronCelt

I'm pretty sure that should be hypergammaglobulinemia, or a high GGT level. Try looking up "gamma globulin levels" and see what you find. My GGT number last time was 28, which was pretty good.

Post edited by: IronCelt, at: 05/08/2012 11:39 AM

05/08/2012 11:41 AM
IronCelt

Okay, I typed too soon. GGT is gamma-glutamyl transferase, a liver enzyme. It is also known as a gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase, and is elevated with liver disease.

05/08/2012 12:43 PM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Ok, I'm back (for now). From what I've just read, Hyperglobulinemia is often found with patients with severe liver disease. Basically the term indicates there is an abnormally large amount (concentration) of globulins in the blood. Globulins are part of blood serum, which is what is left of blood when the cells have been removed. Particularly, globulins and albumin form "serum proteins". A good description of serum proteins can be found at DrKaslow.com.

While your doctor may be looking for something else, I think the elevated concentrations are just part of cirrhosis. Remember, I am in no way a doctor or any sort of medical expert for that matter.

Hope this helps!

05/08/2012 01:20 PM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Thank you Dennis - don't know what we'd do without you!! Smile Smile Ru

05/08/2012 01:39 PM
booky1961
booky1961  

Does any one know what happens with too much globbulin?

Just when you think you have the knowledge to go forward they throw a monkey wrench into the mix!

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

"There Coming to take me away, ah ha!"

05/08/2012 04:45 PM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The correct pronunciation is "AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH" in pirate speak. I haven't been able to find any effects of high levels of globulin only low values. Sorry, just thought I'd correct your pronunciation! Best advice, as always, is to ask your doctor.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved