MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/24/2011 07:41 AM

Kountry2011

I just want to introduce myself to the forum.

A friend told me about this site. It seems to be exactly what I need right now. My husband has cirrhosis and just had tips procedure about 3 weeks ago. Boy has that been an experience for all us.

I welcome all your suggestions you may have on this subject.

08/24/2011 09:10 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Kountry2011,

The TIPs procedure can make a huge difference for your husband But it can also increase Encephalopathy in some. So keep a eye out for Mental changes.

Thank your Friend for us for sending you here. Please feel free to ask anything. Just jump in any where.

tagbearscouple-vi

08/24/2011 09:37 AM
Kountry2011

Having an episode right now. He is eating breakfast as I am typing.

I just wish I could do something.

08/24/2011 10:04 AM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

Kountry 2011,

I had the tips procedure in February of this year. I am feeling the best that I have felt in over a year. In my case, my HE has gotten better not worse. I know I am the exception and not the rule. I still take 1200 mg of Xifaxan and 30ml of lactulose every day. My memory is not as good as it was prior to cirrhosis, but I don't have the constant fog I used to have. If I feel a little off, I just increase my lactulose that day. I guess what I am saying is give the tips a chance to work and make sure he is taking his meds.

Susie

08/24/2011 10:08 AM
Kountry2011

Yes he is very good about taking his meds. He is taking Xifaxin 550 mg twice a day and 40 of the lactulose.

We have a dr appt tomorrow. Thanks for info.

09/01/2011 04:40 PM
AllanKochis

Sorry, But whta is the TIPS procedure?

09/01/2011 05:32 PM
bjlvls
bjlvls  

Hi Allan, Welcome to the group! You never need to apologize for asking questions on this forum, and no question is ever considered too insignificant to ask.

TIPS is an acronym for transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. Wow, that's a mouthful! TIPS is a small tube that is placed between the portal vein and the hepatic vein. Because the cirrhotic liver is scarred, sometimes important veins become blocked. The shunt (TIPS) creates an additional route for blood to be carried from your liver back to your heart. TIPS is used most often to help control bleeding from esophageal varices (swollen vessels in the throat and upper digestive system), and to help relieve refractory (uncontrollable) ascites(the buildup of excess fluid in the belly due to leakage from veins).

If you want to read more discussions about TIPS here on MDJ just type "tips procedure" within the oval search box at the top of the page. It will have a small magnifying glass pictured in the oval.

Another good thing for you would be to read the web site that our senior group leader, mpmom, has created. You can reach it from:

http://livingwithcirrhosis.weebly.com

As a newbie you may also learn some helpful things in the Frquently Asked Questions section. Just click on FAQ at the bottom of any page to get there.

Be sure to keep in touch Mr. K! Always feel free to ask questions or share your experiences here. -Bj-

09/02/2011 07:26 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Allan,

Bobbi is right we all ask questions it's a major role of the group.

She explained the TIPS procedure well But I did want to pop in and say Welcome to the group.

10/12/2011 04:27 PM
vegas555

Do you have to go under anesthesia for the TIPS procedure? When my husband was in the hospital (36 yrs old, cirrhosis sped up by lots of tylenol from past injuries - for years). anyway- they wouldn't do that procedure because they said if they put him under he would just die right there. Any thoughts- is this true???

thanks - I'm new just signed on - it's been two months since he left hospital. Caretaker is the hardest job. We are getting better though.

10/12/2011 04:32 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Care-taking IS the hardest, but we LOVVVVEE you for it!!!!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved