MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/30/2009 02:37 PM

Efficacy of Supplements?

VVi11

Here's a few I'm looking at:

- AOR research liver II http://www.aor.ca/html/products.php?id=195

I know that milk thistle is good, I wonder about the other stuff in this supp.

- L-ornithine-L-aspartate for HE. I looked at some abstracts from real studies and they say it helped.

- ok, this one. Coffee enema's. yeah. So a couple of pages said this really helps the liver. I don't know about this one, but if it works, then ok.

I ordered the first 2. I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks.

Post edited by: VVi11, at: 08/30/2009 02:38 PM

08/30/2009 08:08 PM
shannon8095
shannon8095  

I also heard that garlic powder helps.............

08/31/2009 06:15 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

VVi11,

Ortho•Liver II contains the following:

Milk Thistle Dry Extract (standardized for 40% Silibinin)280mg

( This has been shown to reduce AST, ALT, Alkaline phosphate. works as a laxative)

Schizandra (standardized for 2% total schizandins) 300mg

( This has been shown to reduce AST, ALT, Alkaline phosphate.)

SGS (Standardized to contain 30 mg glucoraphanin glucosinolate)* 300mg

( This has been found to inhibit Helicobacter pylori growth, Common cause of ulcers.This is found in Broccoli and cauliflower stems. )

Phyllanthus Niruri 10:1 plant extract (3% Bitter Principles) 500mg

( This is suppose to help Hepatitis patients it has never been proven to help)

N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) 500mg

( Has also been suggested to help treat cancer and ALS .May help slow some cancer formation But has never been proven to be effective in ALS as a successful treatment (Almost ALL patients develop

Common (Oral): Gastrointestinal disturbance, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, conjunctival irritation, skin rash.

It has been used successfully to treat (drug induced) Liver toxicity.

The big thing about these herbs is that they are UNregulated just because they say they have certain ingredients on the label that doesn't mean that's what you're getting. The amounts of different herbs also varies between companies and even bottles with in the same company. There are also additional things added sometimes that the companies do not disclose. No one is sure if they help or not. If you are on a transplant list they are usually forbidden because of the lack of proof and the unregulation.

What I look for when researching a new herb or med Is whether or not it changes the final out come of a disease.

Such as Milk thistle : It does seem to help in the beginning it supposedly helps reduce inflammation and this lowers AST / ALT. However the outcome for patients doesn't improve. They normally face liver failure and transplant at the same rate as patients that haven't used it.

I say use what you feel is helpful but becareful and always talk o your Dr.

[b]Coffee Enema are dangerous!

Coffee enemas may cause electrolyte imbalance that, if severe enough, can cause death. Other adverse reactions that have been reported include enteric septicemia in a patient with widespread cancer, hepatic dysfunction and ascites, which the authors believed made this patient more likely to suffer from infections. If the coffee is inserted too quickly or too hot, it could cause internal burning or tearing. Because of the close proximity between veins and anal walls, caffeine finds itself in the veins in much greater quantities, and may lead to caffeine overdose, though since the coffee enema is expelled the likelihood of overdose may be less than when coffee is ingested and must remain in the body until metabolized. Excessive enemas may cause dehydration, and this is only amplified by the diuretic effect of caffeine in the coffee. Also, like all uses of coffee, it risks raising blood pressure, though not to a great extent in most individuals.

Gail

08/31/2009 11:13 AM
VVi11

That's a relief to know about coffee enemas Smile I would not be looking forward to that. I'm going to go for the AOR products. They so far have a good reputation. Even a small amount of help is worthwhile.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved