MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/12/2008 11:49 AM

night & day reversal -- any solutions?

sarahe703
sarahe703  

Hi again everyone. I was wondering if anyone in the group is having issues with night & day reversal. the person i care about who is living with cirrhosis is having major disturbances in his sleep patterns. when i went to talk to him yesterday morning, right after the CNA had gotten him dressed, he just looked exhausted and said to me "I just can't sleep. I can't seem to sleep." But during the day I see him all of the time slumped over in his wheelchair sleeping. Poor thing just looks miserable and as his Guardian Angel (a program we have at work), I want to be able to help. I was wondering if anyone else in the group has any experience similar to what my patient is experiencing. Does anyone take over the counter sleep meds like Tylenol PM? I know that excessive amounts of tylenol aren't good for anyone with liver disease, so is there anything that any of you have been referred to by a doctor thats safe for the condition? I want to be able to suggest something to the nurses or the doctor and sound like i halfway know what I'm talking about. I would love if something could be added to his daily night meds to help with this problem since his confusion prevents him from being able to ask for the medication.

Okay, I'm going to stop rambling now. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sarah

04/14/2008 12:16 AM
lksbaby919

Remind him about the time/experiences he has had. It is more that I will get. Also, it may be wierd to deal with other "crops" but I am worth it. Overall, life sucks and we all need to deal with the problems.

05/09/2008 08:06 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

he may be having trouble sleeping in the bed excess fluid causes you to feel like you are smothering also pain and just being scared of dying in you sleep

after awhile you'll sleep any where ( even in a wheelchair )

Try a recliner, hope this helps

mpmom

05/10/2008 12:21 AM
sarahe703
sarahe703  

Thanks for this. Unfortunately I can't afford to buy him a recliner and his family has written him off so they wouldn't do it, either. Also, thanks for the tidbit about the excess fluid. I had the nurse ask the doctor on his weekly visit if they could put this patient on some sort of fluid pill and the doctor blew it off like "he's fine."

but again, thanks for this. I appreciate any help with this special person. Thanks again.

08/24/2008 04:39 PM
mkk

My husband's doctor recommended melatonin (sp?) I have not noticed it helping much. The doctor also suggested an antihistamine. That also helps the itching, if your patient has it.

Good Luck and God Bless! We all need Guardian Angles

08/24/2008 09:19 PM
sarahe703
sarahe703  

Thanks Smile I think since I posted this they have given him something for sleep. Also, they've also started keeping the head of his bed elevated. I think maybe that's helping to avoid the feeling of feeling smothered of suffocated since his head is up.

Thanks again and god bless!

08/24/2008 09:21 PM
sarahe703
sarahe703  

Thanks Smile I think since I posted this they have given him something for sleep. Also, they've started keeping the head of his bed elevated. I think maybe that's helping to avoid the feeling of feeling smothered of suffocated since his head is up.

Thanks again and god bless!

02/10/2009 01:56 PM
angel2008
angel2008Posts: 110

I too have that problem and I get up and go get in my recliner if I want to get any good sleep. I sleep a couple of hours get up for a few and back to sleep again. that goes on day and night.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved