MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/02/2012 12:01 AM

meld score is 17

GORGEOUSME

today we took franky to see his doctor,,his meld score was 17,,what does that mean? please help

Sad

08/02/2012 04:15 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

I had a 17 a year and a half before my transplant then it went down. No body, including me, gets real concerned at that level. What was it before? Is it a trend upwards, an aberration... I still felt pretty good at that level. Although that was when we began to learn about HE.

08/02/2012 04:16 AM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

His mortality rate for the next three months is 6%. The higher the MELD, the better likelihood of getting listing for transplant. Was he recently diagnosed? My husband's score, at diagnosis, was 24. Eating right, exercising, and no drinking, it's down to a 15. From what I understand, the score can fluctuate.

08/02/2012 08:39 AM
iwiham1027
iwiham1027  

My meld fluctuates all the time I was as high as 20 at one point and recently down to 7 and that is with an AST that is a little high so unless it gets higher I would not worry.

Cheryl

Post edited by: iwiham1027, at: 08/02/2012 08:39 AM

08/15/2012 01:12 AM
GORGEOUSME

thank you for the replies,,franky is home,,started walking again,,but looks very fraile,,he had 10 and a half liters drained on friday,,its tuesday and his belly is huge again, ,,hes eating tons of takeout like pizza and burgers chinese,,,mind you ,,its calories,but with very little nutrition and tons of sodium,,,his he is better but still very confused at times,,hes taking diuretics sometimes ,,,and not taking the xiaxafan oops misp Smile he says it gives him the runs and belly ache,,HELLO,,hes still asking for beer,,but seems to forget about it for days at a tie,,hes also being very cranky,,snaps at my parents and me,,,we understand though that its the withdrawls and the he,,,he needs his labs,,but ambulance and medicaid havent figured out if hes elegible,,,,im praying he gets better soon,,,this is the same guy that the doctors gave up on last june and said his liver was dead lol i pray he realizes soon that hes a very lucky young man,,not everybody gets a second chance,,,hugs to all,,mary

08/15/2012 06:33 AM
hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

That take-out food is dangerously high in sodium if you can keep him away from that.

I find it odd that Xifaxan would affect him with diarrhea. It never does me. Now, if he might be taking Propranolol (for reflux), then I could understand it.

I feel for anyone who has to have fluid drained off their belly. What a horrible thought, and I'm sorry he has to endure it.

08/17/2012 03:40 AM
GORGEOUSME

thank u 4 replying,,,,i think its his he that makes him think it gives him belly discomfort,,and hes just being a rebel without a cause,,,i was there when they did this last tap,,it was horrible,,a huge needle and so much fluid being drained,,sad,,and whatever he wishes to have to eat,,he gets fro my parents,,moms motto is,,ATLEAST HES EATING,,,,he craves so much salty food,,i know its doing harm,,and he still takes his water pills when he wants only,,we cant really force him,,but GOD is good,,, hugs,marySmile Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved