MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/18/2012 08:13 PM

Ursodiol for Reducing Bilirubin

Hokie76

Has anyone had experience with ursodiol? Carol's bilirubin number today was 63. We'd asked her hematologist about the med last week, but he said it "wouldn't do any good." Thanks.

06/18/2012 08:14 PM
Hokie76

Correction - we'd asked her hepatologist...something keeps changing the "p" to an "m" after I type it.

06/18/2012 08:24 PM
ashley1950

I am taking ursodial although most the time my bili is within normal limits. They are giving it to me for the itching. It has helped maybe 80% of the itch, the 20% is tolerable most the time. I am also going to go to a dermatologist this week because the GI felt my labs were not high enough to warrant the cause of itching to be cirrhosis. I have cirrhosis due to NASH. It took about 4-5 days before I felt I was feeling any affects from the ursodiol. Then I was only on 300 mg, I convinced my GI to increase the dose, now I take 300mg 3x/day. Good luck, I know that our situations are different.

06/18/2012 08:34 PM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey Jim!

Urso is a very versatile drug often prescribed for people without a gallbladder and those with autoimmune diseases. It basically "clears out the sludge" of bile that the liver produces. Bile, which is a vital part of helping the body digest fats, is stored in the GB until the stomach fills when you eat something. The expansion of the stomach causes pressure on the GB and bile is released into the small intestine. When the GB is removed, as it is during a liver transplant or if there are problems with the GB such as gallstones, the biliary ducts are routed directly to the SI resulting in a constant supply of bile as it is produced.

I still don't understand her doctors!

06/19/2012 04:03 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis: Ursodial is at this point, the only medication used for patients with PBC to try to slow bile duct destruction.

I have heard it helps with itch and as Dennis said it helps to remove 'bile sludge'.....I haven't heard it is useful in lowering or keeping bili down. However, my bili is the only slightly normal thing I have left with regard to my disease so maybe the ursodiol helps. My Hep said I would need transplant once bili rose and he said he didn't expect that to be long from now so maybe Urso only has a limited benefit for bili? I just don't know....but worth a try, not?

06/19/2012 08:02 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
VIP Member

My itching went with the bilirubin. I don't know if the ursodiol helped, since I didn't track the bili before I started taking urso. I was on 500 mg 2x daily.

Bilirubin of 63? Is she really jaundiced?

06/21/2012 07:44 PM
hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

I wondered if that 63 might have been a typo, too. Wow, that's really high!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved