MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/14/2012 06:58 AM

AST:ALT Ratio - how did i get my fatty liver?

forehand36

i read it here that if AST:ALT ratio is more than 2:1, then fatty liver is most likely caused by alcoholism.

I just got hold of my lap report going back to March 21, and as it turns out my numbers were:

AST:18 (6-42)

ALT:15 (4-43)

so, it is likely that i did not have fatty liver due to alcoholism, but rather bad eating habit? My cholesterol was at 6.79. 5.72 is what is the upper range.

when i asked doctor last Friday (not knowing this information at the time)what he thinks about how I got it, he says there is no way to know, and it doesn't matter. same corrective action is required - no drinking, eating healthy and so on.

from what i read here, there does not seem to be many people who got fatty liver from bad eating habits?

06/14/2012 07:41 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey forehand36!

The AST:ALT ratio that you are referring to is just a possible indicator that liver damage is associated with alcoholic liver disease (ALD). It is not a confirmation of ALD. You were concerned that alcohol possibly causing your fatty liver, which, if I remember correctly, was "mild diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver without focal lesions". As I mentioned before, you may have caught your liver problems caused by your alcohol usage. It takes time for the effects of alcohol to clear from your body.

Poor diets often occur in combination with alcohol abuse. Not too many people who drink a lot think about what they consume while drinking. Malnutrition is fairly common and also contribute to fatty liver. I don't think that anyone who is diagnosed with fatty liver really knows what caused their disease but those that are overweight may suspect that their history of eating and exercise patterns may have been involved. Fatty liver is fast becoming one of the top causes of cirrhosis due to the general population's obesity issues.

BTW your AST & ALT numbers look real good!

06/14/2012 10:02 AM
forehand36

yup, that was me. not worried about nutrition. i remember coming home late from work, family is asleep and basically drink beer instead of meal prepared by my wife - thinking i can get all the nutrients i need from beer:{

i guess i was pretty stupid. my problem, in hindsight was daily drinking, i did not drink so much so that i blacked out (ever), but drank enough every night to get pleasantly drunk.

and that's why i thought i got the fatty liver from alcoholism. i guess i will never know now for sure.

i have been trying to eat healthy for the last 3 weeks (it is extremely difficult!)and hopefully i can reverse the fatty liver - whether it be from alcohol or bad eating habits.

06/14/2012 05:45 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

Acording to Web MD.

Fatty liver can occur after drinking moderate or large amounts of alcohol. It can even occur after a short period of heavy drinking (acute alcoholic liver disease).

Genetics or heredity (what is passed down from parent to child) plays a role in alcoholic liver disease in two ways: It may influence how much alcohol you consume and your likelihood of developing alcoholism. And, it may also affect levels of liver enzymes involved in the breakdown (metabolism) of alcohol.

Other factors that may influence your chances of developing alcoholic fatty liver disease include:

Hepatitis C (which can lead to liver inflammation)

An overload of iron

Obesity

Diet

My dad was a heavy drinker and died of liver cancer, I was and still am an unhealthy eater, soo, that's probably how I ended up with a fatty liver in 1992.

Sammy

06/14/2012 06:59 PM
Virginiamom

My daughter (31) has cirrhosis due to alcohol abuse. Though her lab scores suggested cirrhosis , her AST/ALT were never that high and her ratios were never close to 2/1.

She has stopped drinking for 6 months and now all her labs are normal. The key was No alcohol and a healthy diet.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved