MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/17/2012 11:31 AM

Flu Like Symptoms?

booky1961
booky1961  

Hubby says he doesn't feel right... started with a headache, now feels achy. He says like he's got the flu. He's taken 3 doses of lactulose and bm's are fine. Can it just be the flu or should I worry?

He has no energy. He wanted to do things today but can't get any energy to do anything.

I should have known it was going too good. He' got an appointment on Monday with the Hep Doc.Ermm

05/17/2012 11:42 AM
krishemp

My mom calls it 'a general feeling of malaise' if there are no other glaring symptoms, I would just let him rest and see how he feels tomorrow.

05/17/2012 12:08 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Even if it's "just the Flu" call his Dr. We don't handle viruses or infections well. Last year I almost died from "Just the Flu" Seriously I was fine one minute and sick the next , With in a week I also has strep throat and that turned into something called "Ludwigs Angina". I spent weeks in the hospital and it took a couple of months to recover. I haven't been at what I would call my baseline since.

It could also be any number of things , You can have the same feeling from GI bleeds. His Dr at least needs to be aware of this ,especially If he gets worse and has go to the ER.

I wouldn't call it worrying , I call it taking action to avoid more serious complications.

But that's just me.

You know him better than anyone else. Do you feel comfortable? 4 days is along time to wait if you don't.

05/17/2012 02:50 PM
booky1961
booky1961  

Called the Hep Dr's office - she blew me off! AGAIN! Told me it's probably his electrolytes. REALLY! Isn't that when you are dehydrated? He's drank today, but he's not allowed to have a lot. Said if I'm too concerned to take him to the ER. He says he feels fine - yeah, right, where have I heard that before. I don't think it's HE though, not yet. He can't seem to wake up much, just enough to tell me he feels fine.

05/17/2012 04:00 PM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

I am so sorry, Booky. It's so frustrating when we are telling the providers what WE know as caretakers, is wrong and they blow us off. Who else knows them inside and out? We know, much of the time, what they feel, when our hubbies do not even know what they are feeling. (or wives, mothers, fathers, etc.)I do hope he feels better without a trip to the ER.

05/17/2012 05:45 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Booky

I'm also sorry, I know it's frustrating. Here you have to use your best judgement. If you're truly worried take him in. Becoming dehydrated can cause serious problems. Can you check his Vitals (B/P ,Pulse, Temp)?

If you have the option I would start looking for a new Hep Dr. It comes to a point that you have to say enough.

Please keep us informed.

05/17/2012 07:11 PM
booky1961
booky1961  

He's feeling a little better, still has a headache. I tried to get him up to go to the ER and, of course, fought it. He said he just didn't feel good. He got up and moved around a little and started feeling better. He's bundled under blankets, freezing. I'm hot - it's been high 80's and into the 90's and the A/C is working overtime.

I asked him about changing Hep doctor - he said lets just get to a transplant center then we probably shouldn't have to see him again.

I said we'd wait until tomorrow and see how he feels.

I have a BP machine/cuff and his vitals are pretty good considering.

Thank you for the support. I know I can count on Ya'll as sounding boards. I sit here alone and with no one to talk to I feel lost sometimes. He's been feeling too good and I should have known something was going to happen. Whats bad is he'll go to the Hep Doctor on Monday and he'll downplay this. I'm not letting that happen. No more delay, I clue Ya!

05/20/2012 10:45 PM
hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

Must be part of it, Booky, because I feel flu-like from time to time also, a general achiness accompanied by chills. I always wondered why when I went to the doctor, the doc's assistant would ask if I had any bouts of chills. I'll want to bundle up in a blanket in hot weather.

05/20/2012 10:50 PM
rnbee

Oh Booky1961, I know that lost feeling...

05/21/2012 06:30 AM
SebringLady

Booky 1961 - My heart goes out to you. Anita - I'm sorry to confirm it is part of it, because my husband feels flu symptoms almost all the time. It's a challenge to get him to eat healthier because of this. The pill form of zofran doesn't seem to help him --so he doesn't take it. He also gets hot and cold. Feeling sick almost all the time is the one reason why he is so impatient with the transplant process. He's looking forward to the transplant - just wants to be able to feel normal again.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved