MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/16/2012 09:39 PM

Embarrassed to tell!

lorily07

I am embarrassed to tell anyone I got cirrhosis because I drank a lot of alchohol. I just found out from my doctor that I would be doing good if I live 10 more years. I don't know how to feel or what to do next. I didn't know the warning signs of liver damage till it was too late. I feel like I have nowhere to turn for support or answers. That's why I'm telling all of you because you don't know me and I'm not afraid of you judging me. This support group maybe just what I need to find my way and deal with this constructively. Thanks for listening...

05/17/2012 05:24 AM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

Many things can cause cirrhosis. My husband had liver tests for years, because he was a regular drinker and had chronic anemia. Only until he had a severe blood infection, did the liver show signs of failing and he was diagnosed with cirrhosis. Don't beat yourself up. Stop drinking now, if you haven't already. His doctor said you'd be surprised how much the liver can recover by not drinking. Best to you.

05/17/2012 05:25 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

If someone is asking about your health you can say that you have liver disease. I think the word cirrhosis carries that bad stigma, but if it's a disease people don't immediately jump to conclusions.

05/17/2012 06:06 AM
Virginiamom

I vote with saying you have liver problems and leave it at that. The cause is your business. My experience with my daughter is that no tests will tell the degree of cirrhosis,, Only time will tell. The only sure thing is your liver is too damaged to withstand even a little alcohol. More then likely salt will also seem like a poison to your liver. Do what the Docs say, stop drinking and you may be surprised how well you do.

05/17/2012 06:30 AM
sammy566
sammy566  

I find that the best way of handling a problem such as this, it to confront it head on.

Beat people to the punch.

I would say, "I finally screwed myself up!!!, I knew better, I should have done better and now I'm paying for it.

When people ask you whats wrong? say I got Cirrhosis...here is where I lie a bit.

I tell them, the doctor told me it was from a fatty liver, and the drinking just added to the problem. I feel soooo stupid!

When you accept blame, it tends to disarm people, they can't argue with you.

make sure you stop drinking otherwise, nothing you can say will convince them that you didn't do this to yourself.

You need to change, people generaly love you and don't want you to be sick, but you need to show you are willing to change your habits, then they will be happy to give you all of the support you need.

For now, you have us! We understand, we listen and we try to help.

Good luck.

Sammy.

05/17/2012 06:59 AM
booky1961
booky1961  

Bless Your Heart! Nothing to be embarrassed about, you're sick!

My husband came right out, just like Sammy said, I played now I pay! There may also be another problem that caused it but drinking is primary. He liked(s) beer. He misses it but knows he can never have it again. If you get judgement from someone - screw em!

Do what the doctors tell you. Eat good! Depending on when they caught it (and it sounds early enough) it could repair itself.

You picked a great place to come. Welcome!

Post edited by: booky1961, at: 05/17/2012 07:00 AM

05/17/2012 07:02 AM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

I love these optimistic doctors, they can really brighten your day for you sometimes. If he can say 10 years then he can say 25. He doesn't know he's not a prophet. Besides who can tell how much you can slow this disease down and who knows it may be that some researcher will find a way to bring it to remission, and look at all the transplant research, possibly you'll get a transplant from cloning your own good liver tissue. There are all kinds of things going on in research and some of them will improve our lives, so there is reason for a lot of hope.

Don't feel badly that you got this from drinking, heck that might not actually be true, what if you got it like I did, just from an unknown cause,(maybe breathing the air in Los Angeles)and you just happen to be a drinker. Anyway we're all here to help and support you, and to listen, heck it's not like if you were a drinker or a drug user that you deserve this thing, nobody deserves it. Well maybe child molesters but I should be judgmental, that's the Lord's job not mine.

Learn the things you need to do to keep your liver as healthy as possible, there's a lot and much of it can be pretty scary, put your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and you'll be fine.

Peace and Joy

Paul

05/17/2012 07:17 AM
Virginiamom

Really, everyone here has given good but different advice. Say what is best for you. The important thing is to stop drinking and be able to brag you won the battle!

05/17/2012 07:22 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I gotta agree with Sammy's advice. Hit it head on, take responsibility and tell them to either support you or move over because you aren't going to stop taking care of yourself. Stop drinking now, eat healthy, live a healthy, full life and you probably can turn this around. 10 years to live huh? I live by the motto that tomorrow isn't promised so live the best you can today, make the absolute best of it. Do you want to spend today drunk or spend it remembering each glorious moment? Your choice, your life...make it the best.

05/17/2012 07:56 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

lorily07

The stigma of Having Cirrhosis is something we all face regardless of the cause.

Being honest is always a shock to others But if you can't handle that do as Mike said and just say you have a liver disorder. But I'm afraid that you'll be dealing with it for a long time. People (including those in the medical field)Are poorly informed.

But also considered that if you can come to terms with your disease (and it can take a while) How much you can help others facing this disease.

As for your drs comment most drs give prognosis considering that you continue in your present patterns. (Continue drinking)

The truth is that if you remain alcohol free you can improve enough to live a normal life. Alcohol induced Cirrhosis is one cause that is treatable.It can take a couple of years to see major improvements and you will always have Cirrhosis but most patients retain liver function. But you must live as healthy as possible and avoid all alcohol forever.

Get and keep copies of all test results (to track your progress).Figure your CTP score (To check the severity of your disease) You have to be proactive in your health care.

Even if your disease does progress to actual liver failure Transplant offers a real chance But you must be alcohol free for at least 6 months to be listed.

Please check out our site of more information

http://mysickliver.weebly.com/

easteriscoming-1-1

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved