MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/08/2012 10:41 AM

Back Pain and Cirrhosis

MommaMac
MommaMac  

Jim first went to the hospital complaining of back pain. The MRI and CT scan looking for bacteria in the spinal column revealed the cirrhosis. Now, six weeks later, he's recovering from the hospitalization and going well on the rehab. (Walking a bit with the walker) His back pain is back and nothing is giving any relief. Is back pain common with cirrhosis? At what point would you go against his wishes and take him back to the ER? Thanks.

05/08/2012 10:58 AM
krishemp

My mom has also complains of back pain quite a lot, most recently the dr says it is costochrondritus (inflammation of the cartilage on the ribs) that for some reason also cause back pain.

I have used a heating pad for her and it helps some.

I would be interested in seeing what others say.

As for when to go to the ER, Follow your gut. Every time I have taken her to the hospital or had EMT come I was inwardly unsure but something that needed attention was always going on.

Post edited by: krishemp, at: 05/08/2012 10:58 AM

Post edited by: krishemp, at: 05/08/2012 11:00 AM

05/08/2012 12:39 PM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

Thank you. I'll have to remember the costochrondritus. Seems my mother in law had it when she was battling lung cancer. Between the pain and no sleeping any way, he's exhausted and so am I. To make matters worse, just got a voice mail message that he was denied medicaid. This is the second time he's been denied. Have no clue what it will take to give him medicaid. We have nothing; no way I can work, and the bills are probably close to 6 digits now.

05/08/2012 12:48 PM
krishemp

Oh geez, I am so sorry to hear that. I just finally got my mom approved for share of cost medicaid.(of course no one wants to take it) Basically we have to be billed 2270 per month before medicaid will pay. We already owe almost 100k so I am not sure how this is going to work. Good luck to you. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Post edited by: krishemp, at: 05/08/2012 12:49 PM

05/08/2012 01:25 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

My back pain is caused from a spinal compression fracture in my back at L2 and L3. It was caused by Osteoporosis which I am at high risk for due to the cirrhosis caused by my PBC dx. Because the liver isn't working right, Vit D becomes deficient which of course helps keep the bones strong. Also, if ascitis is present the added weight up front causes the back to sway to balance out. I use a heating pad, too. And Deep Blue essential oil rubbed on the spot.

05/08/2012 03:51 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

Does Jim have HE?

05/09/2012 08:19 AM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

Yes, to HE. Does it effect pain? Or could he think he's hurting more than he may be? He has started walking again, which he did not for about five weeks. I am thinking some is soreness from being in a bed so long. Therapist is with him now and he has fairly good muscule strength. Doctor's appointment tomorrow. Wondering if he's built up a tolerance to his pain medication.

05/09/2012 05:24 PM
Mercytee

I recently started having lower back pain. I had never had issue with it before. I use a heating pad and it does help. Hope he gets to feeling better.

God Bless you for being such a good caregiver.

05/11/2012 11:49 PM
tayla

I've suffered from severe back pain for the last six months. It was first brought on by a back sprain, followed by a fall which resulted in vertebral fractures. Since muscle waisting and poor metabolizing of calcium and protein go along with cirrhosis, not only are we prone to back injuries but the healing process takes significantly longer. I realize the cause of Jim's back pain differs from my cause, but sometimes the same pain management strategies can be used. I attended physical therapy sessions, as Jim did, and found that although beneficial, we need to continue with the same regimen (as much as able) once discharged from therapy. I alternate ice packs and heating pads - 20 minute intervals. I also find lying flat on back eases the pain. When I hurt, or am tired...I rest.Also, he may find that compression to the effected area helps; back support or brace. Hang in there...Jim's fortunate to have you for support.

tayla

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved