MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/06/2012 03:22 PM

Straight to Transplant Center?(page 2)

SebringLady

I hadn't heard that about Shands - thanks for the tip. If things do not improve with the liver team here in Orlando, I am going to see if I can talk him into contacting Mayo directly. I think he's hesitant because of the 3 hr drive. It would be great if Mayo partnered with Dr's in our area. I will check into that.

05/06/2012 03:32 PM
krishemp

@SebringLady Tampa General is a transplant hospital as well. I am in St. Petersburg.

05/06/2012 04:06 PM
booky1961
booky1961  

Okay - I stand corrected. I went looking up to find the article about Shands and found a follow up article about their suspention. It was suspended because 3 transplant surgeons left. In an article written (I think it said April) 2012 it was reinstated.

Hope this helped. I'm still checking into Mayo though. When I started getting sick 5 years ago I wound up at Mayo and boy do they check you out from head to toe.

05/06/2012 05:13 PM
SebringLady

Thanks Booky and Kris Smile

05/06/2012 06:08 PM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

I recently spoke to Mayo Jacksonville about possibly multiple listing with them. I was told I would have to be within 6 hours driving time of Mayo. my parents live in Vero Beach which is a 3 hour drive.

I saw on the UNOS site that Shands Gainsville was temporarily suspended as a transplant center. Don't know why.

I live in metro Chicago and need to be in the mid 20's for transplant. I am 9 th at my center and number 20 in the state. In Florida, for my blood type, my wait would shorter.

Mayo said I might have to re-do some testing. also, my Medicare supplement would not cover all my hospital costs because transplant is considered a planned admission. (I can chage my coverage in January) Not sure how my part d insurance would work so need to talk to them about it as well.

I was told by Northwestern that they would not guarantee to treat me post transplant if I have it at Mayo. I would have to stay in Fla. For 4 mos. Following transplant and then, see Mayo annually.

I have time to see if I cAn work this out as a possible option. my meld is only 16 right now.

susie

05/06/2012 08:28 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Since you have Medicare supplement, I'm assuming you have Medicare. This covers(ed) the immunosuppresent drugs under part B. I don't love their concept of "planned" admission. All we do is PLAN to go when they call.

05/07/2012 08:03 AM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

Mike,

I have a select supplement plan thru BC/BS. I don't have to pay Part A deductible if I go to a select hospital. All the select hospitals are in Illinois including Northwestern, my current transplant center. I save about $30 a month on my supplement with this plan. In January, I could change to their plan which would cover my Part A deductible at any hospital. Makes sense if I list at Mayo.

Right now, they will only cover my deductible for an emergency admission at a non-select hospital.

I know Part B will cover immunosuppressives, but have to get a firm answer from my Part D plan on how to be covered for additional drugs I might need while I am in Florida. They told me they would get back to me on that.

Post edited by: dachsiefan, at: 05/07/2012 08:04 AM

05/07/2012 11:41 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

They'll get back to you on that about the time the check is in the mail!

Funny how BC/BS has so many different plans. When we lived in Michigan I think our oop was about 1000, with Perri's new company, still BCBS is 5500. Plus of course everything over and above reasonable and customary if a service is not contracted with BCBS.

Since you're in Illinois, would listing at dman's hospital (in Wisconsib) be of any advantage?

05/07/2012 05:24 PM
booky1961
booky1961  

Well, called Mayo today they are sending a 2 page form to fill out and we have to send any medical records, doctors notes and scans done the last 90 days. She said once they get the forms it should take 10 days to hear something. I asked her if us doing this would offend the doctor and she said no, it shouldn't. They couldn't have been more polite. It's a step in the right direction.

On a side note both me and my husband, the last couple of days, have had dreams of him being a ghost. That's weird, both of us. I told him I will NOT let him die!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved