MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/28/2012 08:31 PM

Itchy!

WyldFlower
WyldFlower  

Hello All! I am new to this group so just a little info about me, I am a 30 year old mother of 2 beautiful girls ages 11 and 7. I have been diagnosed with Chrons disease and primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC). I was diagnosed in 2007 and it has been a roller coaster ride ever since. I have been a member of the Chron's support group with mdjunction for several years but they didn't have a group for PSC or just basic liver disease. This is the closest I have been able to find, so I hope you all don't mind my joining, I'm sure we experience a lot of the same symptoms from liver disease period and right now I can use some advice! I am having really BAD itching, especially the bottoms of my feet and hands! It's driving me insane! Itching was actually one of my first symptoms when I was diagnosed but over the years it improved as we got my numbers better controlled. Over the past few months however I had to have stents placed but I had them removed about a month ago and the itching has gradually gotten worst since then. I try to ignore it but I always end up giving in and once I start scratching, it's on! The doctor gave me some topical lotions which feel good for the second I'm applying it but that's it. I have been popping Benadryl left and right and it's not helping. Is there anything I can do at home to help get some relief? Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.W00t

04/29/2012 04:59 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hey WyldFlower!

You are definitely welcome in this group! I'm not an expert on itching but I do know that PSC patients seem to get the itching worse than everyone else with cirrhosis. Unfortunately there really hasn't been any clinical solution to this symptom. there are many different things that our members have tried with varying degrees of success. Surprisingly my hepatologist's PAC put me on Welchol (a chloresteral drug) and that seemed to get me thru most of my issues. I'm sure that others will be along with specifics of what they have found works for them.

The Olympic medalist Chris Klug detailed his struggles with PSC in his book To the Edge and Back: My Story from Organ transplant Survivor to Olympic Snowboarder which I found to be most inspiring!

We also have a group website, www.mysickliver.weebly.com that I hope will give you an additional reference on all things related to liver disease.

Again, welcome to the group! Make yourself at home!

04/29/2012 05:59 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

WyldFlower

There are many topical meds that work for some.

Here's a link to some ideas many of us use

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/cirrhosis-discussions/ general-support/2527282-itching-and-cirrhosis

Of course as the others said you are welcome here.

easteriscoming-1-1

04/29/2012 08:48 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Welcome! I have PBC, similar but not exact to PSC. My itching seemed to diminish some with the Urso med for PBC. I also use lotion with menthol in it which helps when nothing else worked.

04/29/2012 04:59 PM
WyldFlower
WyldFlower  

Thank you for the warm welcome and tips! dmanflan, I will have to check that book out. I've read an article about Chris Klug but didn't know he had a book. mpmom, I will definitely take a look at the link you provided and 1polarbear, I'm on Urso, been on it since I was first diagnosed so I guess if it was helping with the itching it's not anymore! I have also been using the menthol lotions but they only provide a few minutes of relief so I end up slathering it on only to scratch it off! Hopefully ill find something that helps soon. Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved