MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/20/2012 12:16 PM

A week feels like 7 yrs!!!!

zjs1995
zjs1995  

Shocked This week has felt like 7 loong years!!!My husband is jaundiced, has HE, isnt sleeping well, itchy, and being 1600 mi from home and w/o my cat here to comfort me feels like this time will never end!!! My MIL doesnt visit(she wanted the cat gone sooo bad) and my husband is soo thin with no muscle tone he eats/ here and there but I cant figure out where it goes!!! He has mood swings feels great one minute then the next he is soo tired he cant keep awake. I cant remember when he slept 8 hrs or so in bed w/o getting up, and he just complains the itching is too much. We have lotions, oatmeal, he has prescription cream, pills for the itching, but nothing helps he even has an appt with the skin doctor to complain he is still itching, but it seems nothing can be done. My husband drank until a month ago and I believe the damage has been done and his liver is giving out. Im here all alone watching him suffer from this disease and we are both miserable and this is no way to live. My MIL is sooo convinced her son will get on the transplant list and will hire nurses to take care of him, yet we dont talk, and she doesnt see what I deal with and she is in denial that her son is this sick!!!! Please pray for me I just wish I had answers!!!!

04/20/2012 03:47 PM
booky1961
booky1961  

God Bless You! I'm sorry you seem to be dealing with this alone. On a former thread someone mentioned getting someone to come in and help, is that something that would interest you? Give you a little break?

My husbands skin itches and we use almost everything on the market. Not much seems to help him either. We just go through a lot of lotions.

We had gotten a new kitten and just loved her then we found out my husband was sick and so we had to give her up. It took me years to talk him into lettig us have a pet and when he finally did we had to get rid of her. We only had her 3 weeks. I can't imagine getting rid of a pet you've had for years, I'm sorry.

Hang in there, here for you......

04/20/2012 03:57 PM
fergiegirl

KNow that you can come here for support whenever you need it. I'm on at leeast once a day right now- things are pretty much the same here as yours , too. Hang in there . Lots of prayer coming your way - it's a hard road to battle. We've been at it a year now ,but DH hasn't had a drink in the last 30 yrs. !

04/20/2012 04:09 PM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Hi booky - I'm so sorry you had to give up your kitty! I wondered if I might ask which Doctor said you needed to do that?

I'm a Certified Vet Tech and I've contacted everyone I can think of (including the CDC) and not one of them has said anything about needing to get rid of a cat or a dog or an iguana. A Parrot might pose a problem, touching farm animals is not a good idea as flies lay parasites under the skin on their backs, but the only issue with indoor pets such as cats, fogs, ferrets, and the like, is that the person who is ill shouldn't handle their feces, such as picking up doggie poo-poo or cleaning the litter box.

I'm very curious as I cannot find any reputible reference as to why Doctors are saying this to patients. I've discussed this with the entire Transplant Team at my Evaluation, several Veterinarians, A Top Veterinarian I worked for at NIH (National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD), My GI, PCP, Hep Doc, the CDC and more.

I wanted to add that Marg and Mike will probably be along to tell you about the lotions that use that seem to really help them (correct me if I'm wrong here please). Aveeno (Blue Label I believe) with menthol, and Gold Bond (generic version) with menthol. Oddly, I use Bactine and find the numbing effect helps me, but I plan on trying the products they use when I can get them on sale. Ru

04/20/2012 05:58 PM
zjs1995
zjs1995  

Thanks Everyone for yr replys!!! Booky Iam soo sorry I cried like a baby last week because Iam such a cat lover and once I get attached well my heart breaks!!!!Whats really sad is my husband is not any better, he is still has liver disease, still jaundiced/ yellow and itchy and he is all skin and bones this is clearly not a cats fault. A man in my building has liver cancer from cirrohsis and has two cats and he lives with them I dont see why husband and his mother have to be such cold hearted Aholes when it came to an innocent cat I cared for anyway. Sorry to be poed but Iam and Im tired of this BS and his liver is failing he chose to abuse it not me!!! Take responsiblity but dont take it out on innocent people or an animal!!! Sorry to vent but my parents are taking her back to IL for me after all this is said and done!!! Hugs!!!

04/20/2012 07:30 PM
prayer
prayer  

Sad

Post edited by: prayer, at: 04/21/2012 12:10 AM

04/20/2012 08:42 PM
booky1961
booky1961  

We gave away the kitten before we got too attached (yeah right! She was attached to my husband). We figured it wasn't fair to her right now. We have too much going on and she needed kids and attention. Also didn't want to be told we would have to after a year of having her. Maybe once Hubby has his transplant (God Willing) we look into getting another one.

Vent, this is the place to do it.

Hang in there.......

04/20/2012 11:23 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

Pasteurella multocida is most commonly associated with acute skin and soft tissue infections following an animal bite or scratch. Peritonitis caused by P. multocida in patients with cirrhosis is rarely reported. We present a case of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis with P. multocida in a patient with cirrhosis, squamous cell cancer of the head and neck, and nontraumatic domestic cat exposure. Nasopharyngeal colonization with P. multocida, with subsequent transient bacteremia and seeding of the peritoneum in immunocompromised (particularly cirrhotic) cat-owners, could play an important pathogenetic role in the development of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis. A review of the literature showed that in nine of 13 patients with cirrhosis and P. multocida peritonitis, exposure to domestic animals was reported. The mortality rate is high in this setting, even with prompt antibiotic treatment. Preventive strategies for immuno-compromised patients should include minimization of animal contact, especially cats, which have a high carriage rate (70-90%) of P. multocida

04/23/2012 06:34 PM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

New here but my husband could not wait to get home and to get to our pets. He was so much happier when his cat jumped on the bed with him. He's not mentioned the itching but he keeps scratching. Has anyone had back pain from no apparent reason other than liver damage?

04/23/2012 11:33 PM
zjs1995
zjs1995  

My husband complains of itching, not sleeping, or something hurts or the other but im concerned cause he eats like a PIG, but isnt gaining any weight and has lack of muscle tone and appears very gaunt and just looks into space. He cant remember things and used to be a good story teller and now he doesnt say anything or asks me if I remember. He is having trouble remembering times as well or the day of the week. He used to be loving and comapssionate and thoughtful, and now he is grumpy and mean up/ down all night keeping me awake, and he cant take sleeping pills anymore the dr said benadril was okay. Yet we had an indoor cat there is a gentleman with two indoor cats in our apt complex with cirrohois and liver cancer and he is fine with two cats which to me makes no SENSE!!!! Sorry but I have no family here and Im coping all alone!!! I have no one to turn to, but this liver disease leaves me clueless, hurt, and alone!!!! I lost my husband months ago to the toxins in his brain and sadly he will never be the same and that hurts the most!!!! Hugs!!! oxo

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved