MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/17/2012 01:22 PM

Psych test for disability, now to wait for results

prayer
prayer  

We just got home from the psych test for Steve's disability, he went to lay down so I thought I would update everyone. Steve didnt sleep hardly at all last night,he was so tired. For the last few months he has been having to use a cane because his balance is off. THe Dr came into the waiting room and ask to see him alone, so I handed Steve the bag of his medicine they ask us to bring. When they came out the Dr was carrying the bag and handed it to me. He seemed nice and Steve said he mainly ask numbers in sequence, backward and forward. He told Steve to remember three words when he first got in the room, they were Tree and box and he couldnt remember the third. I took the day off work to go with him and I had to drop off the rest of his test results from his evaluation last month to social security today. So now it is a waiting game, we are putting our hope and trust that the Lord will provide. I will keep you updated once we hear back from them. I dont know how long it will take but once again we take it one day at a time Smile

04/17/2012 02:42 PM
krishemp

Good Luck , I pray all goes well. My mom has been denied 2x and we have a video hearing coming up. No date yet, I just know we are at the pre hearing phase. When does the psych disability test come? i don't know the process, I just keep sending them papers whenever they ask me for them.

04/17/2012 03:45 PM
prayer
prayer  

Sorry but I am not sure of how they do things, we applied online and then had to take all his test results from when he was diagnosed. One of the workers called my husband and talked about some of his symptoms and then about a week or two later they sent him the notification that he had to see the Psych Dr., the time and address and that was it.

We are hoping that since he is on the transplant list that he will not have to apply again. ThanksSmile

04/17/2012 04:12 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Sounds like the test they gave him is the one called the Mini Mental Status exam...it includes counting backward in 7's from 100, remembering 3 words and repeating them in sequence, folding a piece of paper in a certain shape and several other small tests. It is then scored according to a formula found in the DSM IVR and that correlates the the GAF on Axis 5 of the DSM (global assessment of functioning). I hope he is given his benefits and no more waiting!!

Do you know when you will hear something conclusive?

04/17/2012 04:45 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Keeping my fingers crossed and saying prayers

If it doesn't happen don't give up

04/17/2012 05:23 PM
prayer
prayer  

He didnt have to do anything with his hands, I ask him that because his hands shake when he is holding a fork, etc. He said he had to count by 3's and answer questions. No one has told us when they will decide, thanks for the prayers everyone and we wont give upSmile

04/17/2012 06:49 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

@SSS DVM IVR GAF? Are you sure that's not your HE talking?

For me, the psych test was the last thing. We were approved a couple of weeks later. A call came saying we would receive a letter. Then we went in signed papers and got set up for payments.

I remember that test, 3 words, yep, counting somehow. The fact that he can't remember the word is good as far as the evaluation goes. That was the perfect time for Steve to have a bad night's sleep and be very tired.

04/18/2012 08:05 AM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Mike,

No it isn't HE it's my psychology degree talking! The DSM IVR is the diagnostic and statistical manual (4th edition revised) that is the manual used to diagnose psychiatric illness used by all psychiatric professionals universally. The GAF is the global assessment of functioning which is Axis 5 in the DSM, the one used to assess an individual's ability to function on a 'global' basis, which means physically, socially, psychosocially and mentally. The Mini Mental Status exam is the most common test used to begin to assess whether or not symptoms presented are organic or psychiatric in nature. You are very right, the fact that he could not repeat the 3 word sequence will give him 'organic' points and the other tests, the counting etc may be done somewhat differently but they usually do the backward by 7's (hard without symptoms for me Smile ) as well as folding a piece of paper and drawing a star (somewhat like Mike's home test)....I hope Steven 'failed' this test because that would be a good thing for his disability application.

My doc (psychiatrist) has me carry a letter from her including information that a current mini mental status exam (MMSE) has been done and if I present with psychotic symptomology it is an ORGANIC (HE) cause, not psychiatric. With a history of depression, if I end up in an ER somewhere there is a possibility that they would waste time getting a psych consult for what would probably be HE symptoms so she makes me carry the letter instructing them to look at the organic nature first and of course I wear a Medic Alert bracelet indicating PBC. I didn't have to do a psych test for my disability but everything seems different up here anyway.

Mike! HE indeed! Smile Smile Smile

04/18/2012 09:46 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

haha, I understood it perfectly but then I work at a psych facility and use the DSM for coding.

The questions they were asking sound a lot like what we use here on a quarterly basis on the MDS (minimum data sheet). It is used to create a plan of care for the residents. Memory retention and ability to focus. Those things all show a dip in mental capacity, caused by different things, in Steve's case HE probably or med use. If he is unable to answer some of them then it would show an disability of sorts.

04/18/2012 11:45 AM
hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

Hi, Steve and Nina-- It resembled the psych test I told you about, except there were no three words for me to remember. And I also had to take in my meds in a bag which the doc(????) copied down. But the numbers were difficult for me because I've never been any good at Math like I am with the English language, spelling, punctuation, etc. About two weeks later I got a denial that stated since I could move both arms and legs normally, I did not meet the guidelines set by the Social Security Administration to receive disability benefits.

Someone told me I should write to my state Senator about it, so I sent an E-mail. The next day received a phone call from a constituent there. She told me that the Bluebook site Mike gave clearly said that my doctor should have made a list of my meds, specifying that they (if any) were causing reactions (i.e.,fatigue). She then mailed me a form which I am supposed to complete and send back to her after I have appealed the decision. In other words, a bunch of hooey!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved