MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/18/2012 10:38 AM

EGD(page 2)

hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

That's interesting, Nina, that you said there was an extended time for recovery after an EGD. That might explain a bad experience I had in 2003 when I had trouble coming out of anesthesia after a lap chole (gallbladder removed). My chiro found stones on X-ray which weren't troublesome at the time but needed removed just the same. Now, after cirrhosis dx, the stones AND trouble with anesthesia make sense!

04/18/2012 12:57 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I was rereading my report. It doesn't say 'mild portal hypertension', it says 'mild portal hypertensive gastropathy'. I've been googling it, found some differences. Anyone else have this along with the varices and portal hypertension?

04/18/2012 04:51 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Robyn,

I don't know what that means but I almost lost focus again.

04/18/2012 06:35 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

From what I found/read it's the bleed seeping into the stomach lining, caused by portal hypertension.

04/18/2012 07:37 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

Did they band your Grade 1 esophogeal varices?

Did they give you a BP medication?

Sammy

04/18/2012 07:43 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Robyn

I was diagnosed with it in 2008. Basically I seep small amounts of blood constantly in my stomach. I haven't had a normal occult stool test since. It's often called Watermelon Stomach.

And guess what it can also happen in your Colon then it is called "portal hypertensive colopathy"

Usually the bleeding is slow but you need to watch out for anemia

04/18/2012 07:59 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Thanks Gail, I needed to hear that there is such a thing and it wasn't a typo on the report! Smile So far my blood work shows my RBC's are normal but my Hct and Hgb are over the normal limit.

No Sammy, they didn't band anything. At stage one, from what I understand, the varices are swollen from portal hypertension but still straight, not bulging or bleeding. She told my daughter that I was early stages of it and ok right now, that they weren't causing any issues. I see her in the middle of May for my next Hepa appt and we will go over it then, when I'm awake! Don't remember her even talking to my daughter but my daughter told me I asked her if they had to band anything. Really??

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved