MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/17/2012 06:51 AM

EGD

1polarbear
1polarbear  

I've got my first one scheduled for today. What am I going to feel like after? They are checking for varices. What else can they see with that camera?

04/17/2012 07:42 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

From MedlinePlus, which also provides a lot of information about the procedure, what happens, how you will feel during and after the procedure and why they do it.Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) is a test to examine the lining of the esophagus (the tube that connects your throat to your stomach), stomach, and first part of the small intestine. It is done with a small camera (flexible endoscope) which is inserted down the throat.Hope that helps!

04/17/2012 09:08 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

thanks Dennis, I will check it out!

04/17/2012 01:14 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

You'll feel a little loopy after, they'll monitor you for a couple of hours probably. Maybe a little sore throat. This checks down into the stomach as well, so they can see if there are any gastric problems i.e. acid reflux damage ...

04/17/2012 01:28 PM
prayer
prayer  

they told my husband that he would just be loopy and it took him all day to wake up, that was before they knew what was wrong with him and when he couldnt get woke up they did a CT scan and found out he had cirrhosis, which explained why he had trouble waking up, it takes longer for the medicine to be cleaned out of the liver. Sending prayers for good results!

04/17/2012 02:51 PM
IronCelt

I had that experience as well. They knew I had cirrhosis and were checking for varices and also doing colonoscopy as part of the (premature) pretransplant protocols. It took 8 hours for me to get reasonably awake enough to go home.

04/17/2012 03:53 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I'm back! Loopiness in tow! It didn't take me long to wake up, maybe 1/2 hour and then another 1/2 in recovery. I have the hiccups like never before but so far that and the lightheadedness is all, no sore throat just a little tight.

My Hepa did the scope herself and already gave me a typed report. Grade 1 esophogeal varices were found along with mild portal hypertension. No gastric varices. They did do a biopsy of the dudoenum to check for infection but no results of that yet. My daughter got to meet the doc and she liked her so that's another good thing. She does carry a HIPPAA form with her so she can be talked to about problems. The report said another EGD in 2 years unless there is any bleeding before then. I'm relieved that they aren't bad but sad that they are there along with the hypertension. No more denying things! The next test is Thursday for bone density to check for osteoporosis. So far I've got all the complications, might as well check for that too.

Think I'll take a nap! still feeling very loopy and tired. Thanks for all the thoughts guys!

04/17/2012 04:09 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Glad the news was as good as it was Robyn. I know the test for osteoporosis is less invasive. Time to rest and take it easy. Hopefully a full two years before the next test and NO bleeds prior!

xoxo

04/17/2012 04:37 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Robyn

Nothing like a little varices to make us pay attention I'm glad things went fairly well

Hugs

04/17/2012 07:50 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Thanks gals. Reality at it's best! I'm pleased that it is not so bad yet.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved