MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/24/2012 09:01 AM

New here(page 3)

1polarbear
1polarbear  

What labs did you have done that you were told pointed to a diagnosis of cirrhosis? Just curious.

Post edited by: 1polarbear, at: 04/24/2012 09:06 AM

04/24/2012 01:49 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

I am with Polarbear.......

A diagnosis of cirrhosis based on labs alone is rare and often wrong.

A cT scan, MRI or Ultrasound MIGHT show cirrhosis but may also miss it.

A biopsy is the gold standard and only 100% accurate way of diagnosing cirrhosis.

Now having said that, elevated liver enzymes usually point to an issue with the liver, as does ascites. BUT that doesn't mean you have full blown cirrhosis. My labs were insane (ALP was almost 700 normal is under 100 I think) and I had ascites as well but back then I still only had fibrosis for the most part.....

Again I am with Polarbear, what prompted that diagnosis and if it was labs alone, I suggest more be done, and be done by a Hepatologist specifically.

04/24/2012 04:07 PM
Virginiamom

When the Docs were relying on labs they were saying cirrhosis. Nowthat time has gone by the Docs refer to her condition as Alcoholic Hepatitis (curable) To this day I don't think they really know. Just that her labs are now almost normal and she is pretty healthy.

Hang in there! It will take time to sort this out.

04/24/2012 06:31 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Alcoholic, viral... refers to the cause. Just like bronchitis or sinusitis, depending on the cause, people can recover from hepatitis.

04/25/2012 06:10 AM
DEH70
DEH70  

@ polarbear: not sure which tests they did but was told that "full" testing was ordered.

@ Sadly: They have not done a CT scan, a MRI or a Ultrasound yet.

@ Virgina: I don't think they know in my case either, maybe they were just getting sick of me calling everyday asking what was wrong with me a didn't have an answer.

@ mike: They did tell it was "non" hepatitis related cirrhosis, it may be time to find a new Doctor.

04/25/2012 07:11 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

"non" hepatitis related probably means non-viral i.e. Hep B or C. as that is what most people think about when they hear the word hepatitis.

04/25/2012 08:07 AM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

DEH70: Welcome to this wonderful group. I think some of the others are curious about how your doctor diagnosed Cirrhosis with just blood tests. Usually there would be a biopsy, but not always.

I was diagnosed with just blood tests and a physical examination. Among other things the blood test showed very low platelets 51,000, and INR at 1.2, the physical exam the doctor found I had a very swollen and very sore Liver and Spleen. They didn't want to do a biopsy because of the possible bleeding problems, so they did this additional set of blood tests usually done for Hep. C patients. But actually before that blood test right when he was done with the physical exam, he told me I had Cirrhosis and then ran out of the room. Later the diagnosis was confirmed with an US which also showed Portal-Hypertension.

They told me I don't need a biopsy to tell them what is already obvious. Yes I have Cirrhosis but the cause is still listed as idiopathic, which leaves me wondering what a biopsy would tell them that is not obvious.

Peace and Joy to All

Paul

04/27/2012 07:29 AM
DEH70
DEH70  

Oops: on a side note, they have me on "Lactulose" not "Lasix".

04/27/2012 07:32 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Lactulose is a totally different medication for totally different complications. It is a laxative to help you rid the body of toxins that build up in your digestive track. Lasix is a water pill that helps you rid the body of extra fluid.

04/27/2012 12:46 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Paul, that's one of those things, sure they don't need a biopsy to tell you you have cirrhosis, but sometimes that's the only way to tell the cause. That was my case. My alpha-1 didn't show in the lab results, but one look at the way the scarring was occurring by biopsy and it was identified.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved