MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/01/2012 09:15 AM

Liver Cancer and cirrhosis

amdavis1126
amdavis1126  

Hello everyone Has been a while since I have been on line. Life, work, grandkids have kept me hopping. Husband has had his second ultrasound now, cancer has grown from 5.7 to 7.4 in size since November. Doc says he doesnt consider that a fast growing cancer though. Said no chance for transplant due to tumor size (when found), besides the fact that he won't quit drinking for the 6 mos time period. He has quit for 60 days, drank for about 2 weeks and then quit for 10 days, then started back again. The last couple of times, didn't waste his time with beer, went straight to the vodka. Doc told him he has two deadly diseases, end stage liver disease and cancer. I read on line our livers measure 15 to 17.5 cm. If his tumor is 7.4 cm then close to about half of his liver is covered, right? We were both afraid to ask how much time the doc thought he had left. If the drinking continues, WE both know it shortens his time. We go back in July for another ultrasound and check up. He does not have enough healthy liver cells for chemo or any other treatment. They went in and tried to insure no arteries were going to the tumor to avoid a bleed out, but the good Lord had taken care of that already. Of course, as the tumor grows I am assuming that could change. But, $20,000.00 later, after that one procedure to go in and end up only LOOKING, can't afford too many of those procedures. Thank goodness for health insurance. Anyway, I pray that life will not be full of arguments and mean words until he finally drinks himself to death. I have not feared being hit again. He still talks about how bad he feels that he blacked my eye and bloodied my nose. His mean mouth is enough when he drinks. I usually get out and away from it. Last night when he drank, I told him I would not be around him and did not want him coming home screaming at me. He did what I asked - he stayed out until about 5:00 a.m and left me alone when he came home.

We cannot go to church when he is like this. The last time we went he hollered out in church (only a few people around us heard him) but told the preacher to shut up when he started trying to raise money for the next church project. I watch Sunday morning sermons anymore and pray daily for relief and that he will someday soon finally quit drinking for good. Of course, ultimately I know only Larry controls himself. God gives us free reign to make our own choices and so far Larry's choice is to slowly kill himself with alcohol and make our life miserable. Sometimes I think if he quits drinking and we are getting along, that his death will be very hard on me, but he continues to drink and making our life hell, that it will be easier when he dies - it will be more of a relief. I feel like I have been greiving his "death" for years now. The man I married has been long gone for some time. Only glimpses of him reappear occasionally - teasing, reminding me of what life was and SHOULD be. Its like walking on eggshells all the time.

04/01/2012 10:04 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Angie,

How very good it was to see your post.

I'm glad things are calmer now. But so sorry things are progressing.

Your story breaks my heart. You are such a strong person. You are often in my thoughts and prayers.

Much Love

04/02/2012 01:25 AM
imbru08

I'm back online. I posted back a couple months ago about how much hepatic encelepathy had taken over my dads life because of the cirrhosis and NASH, but that was only the beginning. He is on the mayo list and the university list for a liver transplant currently number one on the u of Iowa with a meld of 31. His kidneys have been shutting down because of the liver failure. It's just so hard playing the waiting game although I'm so thankful he is on the list and so high. It's hard to be faithful and hope the process works out. Me being 21 an my dad being so sick and sleeping all day really bothers me. I am asking God every night for a liver transplant for him just so he can be around to see my children and his grand kids. He is one person that I know who deserves the transplant and not to suffer and be as sick as he is. It broke my heart when he was in the hospital a couple months ago and said all I want to do is be better, I don't want to be sick anymore. You would do anything to make your hero not be in pain anymore. Sorry for ranting but I know most of you understand what I am going through more than my girlfriend or family. Thanks for the support and if you could say a little prayer for my dad just like I am. Thank you and God Bless

04/02/2012 08:09 AM
IronCelt

Are you sure that the original size of the tumor was 5.7 centimeters? I believe I was told during my initial (incorrect) diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma that the upper limit for transplant consideration was 5 millimeters. If your husband is still out running around and drinking, I don't see how half of his liver could be tumor. I don't blame you for being confused--it's so difficult to get all of the pertinent information out of the medical team when they have so little time for each patient. Be strong! ("Be the bulldog," my dad always said.)

04/02/2012 08:17 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I like that Mo, 'be the bulldog', kinda sums up what we have to be like to get things going.

amdavis, sending positive energy to your for strength!

Post edited by: 1polarbear, at: 04/02/2012 08:20 AM

04/02/2012 09:38 AM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

Imbru08: Sorry to hear your dad is such bad condition, but at least he is in position to get the transplant he needs, of course I'll be praying for you and I know many others on this site will be too. And you rant as much as want to dear that's a big part of what this site is for.

Angie: I'm glad to hear this have calmed down some. Your story just breaks my heart. I'll keep you in my prayers maybe soon with the Lords help he will quit the alcohol for good.

In the mean time I think you are having a little problem with the metric system. I believe the size of his cancer was reported to you in millimeters. 5.7 mm is about a 1/4 of an inch. The size of the liver is in centameters 17.5 cm is about 7 inches.

I never have understood why such a small cancer would preclude a transplant.

Peace and Joy

Paul

04/02/2012 03:44 PM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Paul - Thank you for that clarification - I bet you are correct - I was too tired to figure the conversions and your measurements make sense - amdavis1126 - sound right to you? Still doesn't make sense as you said Paul that a 1/4" tumur would preclude a transplant. How are they going to treat the tumor if I may ask? Ru

04/03/2012 06:54 AM
amdavis1126
amdavis1126  

Thanks every one for your prayers and thoughts. I have the written report from the CT Scan and it definitely says CM not MM. The doc also shows us on a tape measure, it also shows CM. The doc told us when we first got the 5.7 CM diagnosis that the tumor was too large to get on a transplant list. Our general practioner did say that the cirrhosis may get him before the cancer. The cancer doc says there is nothing he can do, just keep an eye on the growth for us. But it definitely says CM.

04/08/2012 01:23 PM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Hi amdavis1126 -- I have Cirrhosis but not Liver Cancer (yet anyway) but I don't understand this. Dennis, Gail, Mike, Paul - does this make sense to you guys? I mean if you have cancer they usually remove it. IF they can't remove just the tumor b/c maybe it's so infiltrated in the blood vessels (having done abdominal surgery on cancers in pets) I can understand...then, why not a Transplant? I assume as with any cancer the cells can metabolize but if they haven't, then shouldn't a Transplant be immediate? Hang in there amdavis - you must feel so frustrated. My heart goes out to you. Ru

04/08/2012 01:54 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

The UNOS guideline is that if the tumor measures greater than 5.0 cm (centimeteres, yes centimeters not millimeters, about 2"Wink diameter one is not eligible for transplant. I believe that if they are able to treat by surgical removal, ablation, chemo... to remove the tumor one could become eligible. It sounds though that in this case he is in too bad a shape to consider any treatment. Size wise in comparison to the liver one needs to look at the volume, not diameter. If the liver was spherical (not hardly, but a good illustration) it's volume would be (at 15 cm diameter) 1767 cubic centimeters (cc). The tumor, at 7.4 cm, would be 212 cc or 12% of the volume. (My engineer coming through.)

@RU: if the tumor is between 2 and 5 cm (3/4 to 2 inches) then 1) one may get extra MELD points, 2) if healthy enough they MAY treat the tumor, and 3) one may still be eligble for transplant provided it hasn't metastasized throughout the body.

Prayer goes out for you today. (And everyone else as well)

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved