MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/04/2009 09:28 AM

Nutrition

reisingwood

I am uninsured and waiting for Medicaid approval and have applied for disability. I have had HCV for 10 yrs. that I know of and am fairly certain I now have Cirrhosis due to the many symptoms (ascites, encephalopathy, jaundice etc). I quit drinking a month ago and have been modifying my diet to no-salt, low protein/fat, no-iron vitamins and my symptoms have greatly subsided. I've read all I can on my condition and still have a couple questions:Is coffee still beneficial w/active cirrhosis? (I drink a lot). Does smoking increase ammonia in the blood? Any and all nutritional advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

02/04/2009 09:05 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

reisingwood,

Welcome to the group.You need to quit smoking I have never heard of it raising the ammonia level but one of the complications of cirrhosis is a disorder called heptopulmonary syndrome.Where the lungs are damaged beyond repair. Also if you are considering transplant Most centers want you to quit.

Its also important that you have documentation that you have quit drinking for 6 months before going on any transplant list.Good going for having stopped!

My Drs. say no to coffee because of the caffeine

Again welcome and if I can be of any help please let me know

Gail

02/05/2009 08:42 AM
mare1972
mare1972  

Heres a question- what do doc's think about decaf coffee? Just thinking about if its an acceptable choice. It takes alot of strength to quit eveything at once!!I would be lost without my morning coffee lol

All the best to you!

02/06/2009 08:16 AM
reisingwood

Thanks Gail,

On another post of yours you list benzo's as bad. I sometimes take a .5 xanax or valium to sleep and use the coffee to push through the day ( I am responsible for picking up the kids from school, homework, dinner, cleaning, etc). Would melatonin be less toxic? Also, since I am probably several months away from even getting a biopsy, ultrasound, bloodwork to determine the extent of my condition, my biggest concern is keeping my head (driving even with a map I get lost and finding my cellphone is a daily game). I have recently been forcing down green tea and lots of water and take half a 550 mg. Potassium Gluc. as a loop-diuretic substitute (also extra C and Tums). Took ex-lax for the last 2 days to purge the lazy colon of excess protein but would like something more natural (psyllium husks?). Just made a bean-garlic-onion-celery-rice soup for lunch. Will get some soy milk later today for protein. I'm feeling MUCH better-eyes are almost white again.I follow my gut literally and eat small snacks and try to not eat after 4pm. I understand my needs will change and this is a balancing act that will change from day to day. I am grateful to be as healthy as I am but am very aware that this is about as good as it gets. Thanks.

02/07/2009 11:43 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

reisingwood,

Melatonin would be less toxic but would also be much less effective as the meds you are taking now . Don't stop any thing with out talking to your Dr.Many people have to be tapered off these meds. Be careful when you substitute more natural meds for things like diuretics Keeping your electrolytes balanced is hard.Your sodium and magnesium are just as important as your potassium.Ex lax can be harder on your system than psyllium . Lactulose is used most commonly.

I'm glad you are feeling better and yes it gets worse sometimes but as long as we do everything we can to be as healthy as we can each day. We keep this monster at bay just a little longer.At my appointment a couple of weeks ago my Dr. said that he would do everything he could do to help me but that I had to remember that I had a terminal disease that was unpredictable. And that eventually we would lose the battle.Sobering but honest.

Hang in there but be careful

Gail

02/08/2009 04:55 PM
kazoo
kazoo  

Geez Gail - don't you think your doctor was a bit harsh? Wow. What happened to compassion? Well I have a lot and I will share!! Stuff like that can make a person give up. Don't you ever give up Gail!!

Kathleen

02/08/2009 08:53 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Kathleen,

He is very compassionate. A great guy and a very good Dr.But he also knows that I'm very practical and want only the truth.

Don't worry I have no intention of giving up. but I also have a family to take of and its hard to make arrangements if you don't know where you stand. I have made final arrangements , My family is aware of what I want. Then I put it where it belongs , out of sight , out of mind.But its there if needed.My reality is that I have the most common blood type in the USA. You would think that that made getting a liver easier but it doesn't it makes it harder.There are almost 2000 on the transplant list in my area.If you are sick enough to be at the head of the list you are near death. He will fight for me as long as I want him to but he will never give me false hope.

Thanks for the compassion we all need as much as we can get

Gail

02/08/2009 09:12 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

He says OK to Decaf

Thank the lord

Gail

04/23/2012 01:27 PM
wdstkdrgnfly
wdstkdrgnfly  

my liver doc recently told me that he read a study done by the Mayo clinic that states coffee is actually good for your liver and for me to drink all i wanted. ?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved