MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/01/2012 10:21 AM

Discomfort after varices banding

pmary

Well I had my endoscopy on Tuesday and two varices were found, very small. One was banded and the other collapsed on its own. The anesthesiologist did put me out, but it only took 15 minutes so I woke up very quickly and felt fine. Wasn't bad at all. However, now it is two days later and though I don't have a sore throat, I do have a discomfort in swallowing lower down in the passage (probably the esophagus), almost like the food is hitting something or going around it. Perhaps I rushed it by trying to eat solids yesterday, today I'm going to do liquids. Anyone else have this kind of feeling after banding? Also, this doc recommended propranol to prevent future varices and/or bleeding. Anybody have any experience with using this drug? Hope everyone has a good day...thanks again for your support.

03/01/2012 12:45 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

pmary

Yes, it's a really odd feeling but it went away fairly soon for me.(about a week) But I do mostly liquids anyway.

I took Propranol (Inderal LA 80mg)for a while. Propranolol is a beta-blocker. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation. So keep a check on your Blood pressure and heart rate. Sometimes it can cause it to drop too low. Which is what happened to me.By reducing the blood pressure it help keep the varices from returning.

03/01/2012 01:00 PM
pmary

Hi mpmom, and thanks for responding so quickly. It's comforting to know you had the same odd feeling, and now two days of having it doesn't seem so bad. They just didn't warn me what to expect. They said a sore throat and to take lozenges, but that's not what I have. As to the propranol, my doc and I will need to talk about it. As it is I have a low pulse (usually in 60's), and normal BP, and occasionally I get a fluttering (about 6 times a year), and when that occurs I take a pill (Sotolol) to slow it down and even it out. So one might interfere with the other. I'll see what all my different doctors say. Thanks again....next week I meet with the transplant team for a day of interviewing and reviewing all my test results, to see if I qualify for the list. Don't know what to expect!

02/12/2013 11:18 AM
imsoblue

I go for my next endoscopy tomorrow. The first one I had was not pleasant. I had three varices banded and it felt like I had broken glass in my esophogus for a week. I do not think that I am a "wus" but this was more painful than having my kidney out! My sister-in-law, a dietician suggested that I drink smoothies. This did seem to be the only thing that did not hurt to swallow. I guess it boils down to each person having their own experience to deal with.

02/12/2013 12:15 PM
Jbrazell49

I have had banding several times (total of 9), the first time I was not told to eat soft foods and has some discomfort. The last time, I drank liquids for the first day, then soft food for several days and did not have any problems. Hope your next time will be better!

02/12/2013 01:04 PM
MommaMac
MommaMac  

Must be if varices are banded or not. My husband had EGD yesterday. No banded. No discomfort at all.

02/12/2013 04:11 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Pulse in the 60's isn't low, it is what mine used to be.

02/13/2013 11:57 PM
DeniseMay
DeniseMay  

Hi my son has had banding several times now and he always talks about the discomfort when swallowing...the feeling of food going 'round something' his normally eases in a few days, he eats a lot of ice cream and finds that soothing.

02/15/2013 11:12 AM
srh4009

When my husband was first in the hospital tey wanted to so the scope to make sure he didn't have any bleeding he did have varies but they didn't have to band anything, unfortunately my husband hair has a high tolerance for some things and they gave him 6x the normal dose of drugs to put him to sleep and didn't ever go out he was awake the entire time, needless to say I haven't been able to get him to have another one of those done.

03/11/2013 08:37 PM
marable

Group Leader

I guess I had about 20 esophageal variceal bandings and probably out of the 20 I think I had pain with about 5. The pain I had I think was esophageal spasms. No rhyme or reason for the pain. Otherwise the only sensation I felt after a banding was a "coldness" like feeling in the esophagus. My hepatologist prescribed Levsin for the pain/spasms which helped. Also with an upper endoscopy to check for varices, biopsies and esophageal dilitation is often done at the same time which could be some of the reason for the esophageal pain/spasms. A liquid to soft diet for several hours after the procedure is best. Even with the discomfort its a whole lot better than a big old gi bleed.

Take care everybody.

Vivian

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved