MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/22/2012 06:52 AM

So scared!

grandmere

I am new here..57 year old female.You may not want me here because I am not diagnosed yet though I am sure I have it. I was a nurse. I drank, I thought moderately, but clearly too much. I am so afraid. I have red palms and lots of red spots. I haven't had a drink in a month.This morning my bowel movement was clay colored, the first time. and I am so upset I cannot type very well.Am I going to die?I know I have to go to doctor but am so ashamed and frightened but I will go soon.

02/22/2012 07:04 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Welcome grandmere! This is a great group and yes, we want to hear from you! Definitely go to the doc and be honest to a fault with them. They need to know how to treat you, but you know that being a nurse. No need to be ashamed, we've all had things in our past that we live with.

My cirrhosis is caused by autoimmune disease, I have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. I never knew I had something like this brewing in my body. But no matter the cause, we all end up with the same thing. Congrats on not drinking in a month! If your symptoms are caused by the drinking then quitting is the best thing you can do to stop the progression. Just go to the doctors and have the tests run, don't panic (I know, easy to say...I panicked too!)

02/22/2012 07:37 AM
grandmere

Thank you so much for your kindness!I think where I stopped drinking and the BM this morning is what really has me terrified. Does that mean I am going to die real soon..sorry, my nursing knowledge has gone out the window..too scared to think.Thank you all for this site, very much!

02/22/2012 08:25 AM
MoonWatcher
MoonWatcherPosts: 736

An isolated light/clay stool isn't a good indicator of disease. This just means your liver didn't move any bile with the meal you ate that produced it. I know when I quit drinking my diet changed a lot for the first few months. Foods I used to eat didn't appeal and others foods took their place. Fatty meals usually stimulate bile production, so if you've not been eating much fat, this can also cause light stools.

The red spots are a better indicator. Are they on your chest? Do they have broken/surface blood vessels surrounding them? (google images of spider angiomas). Are there broken blood vessels on your face? Does your belly swell and shrink depending on how much you used to drink? (transient ascites).

These are better indicators of liver disease, and things you should show and tell your doctor about. If your stool continues to be pale, it could indicate gall stones or gall bladder disease. Bile is what turns your stool brown, and if your not moving bile this is something that should be looked into immediately if this doesn't change in a day or two.

Best of Luck to you!

02/22/2012 08:52 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

grandmere

Of course you are welcome here. Never doubt that.I know you are scared. Congrats on stopping drinking. That's a huge step.

The good news is that the progression of alcohol induced liver disease usually stops after the alcohol is stopped (all alcohol forever) the bad news is that it takes a long time months even a couple of years. It's not uncommon for a patient to be sick enough to be placed on the transplant list and recover enough to be removed.

Also alcohol itself can cause the same symptoms as more advanced disease.

Take a deep breath. But do go see a dr. Ask for a run of labs CBC,CMP, INR,Hepatitis panel, and a US to start with. Expect some of the labs to be out of line. Teh effects of the alcohol will take a while to clear. The US can show if you have Alcoholic fatty Liver and can show if you have any changes consistent with Cirrhosis. A CT scan would show more detail and give you more information but most drs want to start with the US.

Take another breath. Even if you have progressed to Cirrhosis Stopping the alcohol usually stops the progression to actual Liver failure. Many patients live a long normal life.

Keep copies of ALL test results.

Please make yourself at home.

02/22/2012 09:21 AM
grandmere

May God Bless you all! Thank you so much for accepting me and for replying.I have no ascites or ankle/feet edema. My red spots are mostly on my legs & legs..very recent. I have a few on my chest..blood spots I called them, they have been there for years..no broken...no broken/surface blood vessels around them.I have a healthy appetite, never usually tired.Never had a drink in my life till I was 45..stopped a month ago..more because I thought it was getting to be too much..never dreamt I had cirrhosis untill my palms got pink and I googled it.That scared me and never thought to even consider a drink since.I have begun exercising, changed my diet to low sodium and careful about protien..eat mostly fresh fish now. My biggest fear is I thought the clay clored stool meant I was going to shut down any minute because the liver was in total failure.I am sorry if I am rambling but I am really scared. I will go to the doctor soon but I have to admit I am really ashamed.Thank you for being so supportive, you are so kind.

02/22/2012 09:21 AM
grandmere

legs & arms I meant..sorry...very upset!

02/22/2012 10:00 AM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

Welcome to the Group Grandmere: Though I hope you don't need to be here, it sounds like there is a good chance you don't have Cirrhosis. Maybe your liver is just giving you a warning. Anyway, no you are not going to die soon. I have a big ole swollen liver amd supersized spleen only a few thousand platelets (55,000) and I'm still here, heck I feel pretty good today.

Don't worry about being scared or ashamed, heck if this won't scare you just what would?

And the alcohol, well we all make choices that we later wish we could go back and change. I never was a drinker, but I've worked in construction work all my life and so breathed all kinds of chemicals and been exposed to who knows how many things that could cause all sorts of harm to ones body.

Eatting food from what construction workers call a roach coach is probably what did it. Those are bad choices too and I was stupid to live that way, but there is nothing I can do now but try to live the best I can and praise the Lord who gives me strength to face each new day.

So don't be scared or ashamed.

I'll be praying for you.

Paul

02/22/2012 10:29 AM
grandmere

I am sorry if I am being a bother but I guess my question is.. Where I stopped drinking and developed a new symptom..clay clored stool..doesn't that mean the liver is getting worse WITHOUT the alcohoL? This has me terrifed and feeling hopeless. I do appreciate your help, so much.I know the doctor is what I need & I will go soon..I have no choice but for right now can anyone help me with this question?GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

02/22/2012 12:17 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

I first had those clay colored stools in 1990, fibrosis diagnosed at the time. It wasn't until 2005 that cirrhosis was diagnosed, and 2011 before I needed a transplant. So, No, clay colored stools are not an indication that your time is up.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved