MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/20/2012 01:16 PM

biopsy(page 2)

prayer
prayer  

he was given an IV to make him sleepy but was awake the entire time, he felt the cath travling down by his heart and when they took the 3 samples he felt it but said it wasnt bad at all. I took him in home about an hour later after he had lunch.

02/20/2012 02:09 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

My biopsy was ultrasound guided and done by inserting the probe just under my breatbone. Five core samples were taken from various places in the liver and then examined at the University Hospital here and then sent to the U of A transplant hospital for second opion. Same a polarbear mine were staged some at 3 some at 4 so my hep said we treat it as a 4 as that is where it is/soon will be overall.

I got a very long two page report detailing core samples, focii seen, granulomas and other esphogils seen as well as necrosis, briding fibrosis, bile duct deterioration and friable core sample description. Took me weeks to figure it all out especially as they used both Scherr and Ludwig Batt staging on the samples.

With regard to seeing it, the samples as mentioned before are very very small and fixed in solution and I don't even know which pathology lab has them...I'm fine with a very detailed report by two separate pathologists.

02/20/2012 02:51 PM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

Thanks Prayer: That IV making him drowsy but not all the way out sounds like Demerol. I've had that before for a colonoscopy, I was really loopy and had a lot of fun. I know during a colonoscopy, Yeah I had a great time.

Paul

02/20/2012 02:58 PM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Paul that is hilarious!

For my biopsy they tried to freeze the skin and then one layer below that (?) but it didn't take........hence no fun Sad

Paul you slay me, really fun in a colonoscopy. LOL

02/20/2012 08:15 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Man my first biopsy -- NO anesthetic local or otherwise. Just "We'll go HERE" A punch and done. It was done before I knew he was going in. Second some local. 10 years later I had a doc that didn't think people should hurt. He put me under with IV anesthetic, same with my EGD and colonoscopy. I LIKE that doctor.

I just read the "MySickLiver" description "The needle is advanced into and out of the liver." I would probably have phrased it differently, but decided not to spell it out here.

Post edited by: mikealpha1, at: 02/20/2012 08:57 PM

02/20/2012 09:24 PM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Hey Paul - I had fun too. The best fun was after my...hmmm...that hand thing everyone gets? from working on the computer so much, surgery when they gave me profolol (soory Michael J.) I was telling all the Nurses and Docs to take the day off and go have a drink or something fun! Ru

02/21/2012 09:25 AM
IronCelt

My first biopsy was a random shot--and it did seem like I had been shot. I couldn't speak for several minutes and the techs couldn't figure out why. It might have been better had someone told me it would be painful. The next biopsies were a group of six or eight done under general anesthesia. Lots of pain coming out of it and damage to the diaphragm made recovery take several weeks. In essence, I think the med teams should be more straightforward about how things are going to feel.

02/21/2012 10:39 AM
sogood
sogood  

My husband only found out his liver was at cirrhosis stage not from the biopsy on his liver 2 years prior but from a ct scan a couple years later for a completely different problem!

So much for the biopsy

Cool

Carolyn

02/22/2012 07:11 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I remember that loopy feeling during the colonoscopy, don't remember the procedure at all! yeah!! now for the biopsy, I was wide awake, no anesthesia (local or otherwise). I had to hold the nurse's hand and squeeze quite a few times because it hurt like hell. But I survived! another milestone! So do they give you the demerol for the endoscopy?? I've got one of those in my near future too.

02/22/2012 02:14 PM
iwiham1027
iwiham1027  

With my biopsy they gave me pain meds and valium plus localized the area with the numbing meds it was also CT guided, they did 3 I did feel the last one. Later that night OMG I was in horrible pain had another CT fluid was leaking out from where they did it and the nurse was told to give me anything I wanted pain med wise, as for the endoscopes, and colonoscopies they gave proprothol along with versed and out I went. Results wise like the rest they were read then re-sent for a second opinion at the liver center. I did get copies of both reports, that was several years ago when I asked about a repeat biopsy I was very happy to hear NO.... they will not do another they have all the info they need. Cheryl

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved