MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/16/2012 02:32 PM

scores

fantasy31

no one as told me what stage im at and havent had any info about it how can u know my doctors dont tell me anything

02/16/2012 03:35 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Doctors often don't volunteer info. Ask for you lab results, ask them to explain them.

02/16/2012 04:26 PM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Mike brings up a good point--start keeping copies of all lab work. It is far better to track the trends in your labs than any particular test scores.

Dennis

02/16/2012 04:52 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

fantasy31,

You really have to be proactive with this disease. By keeping copies of all test results you can check your "scores" yourself. Knowing your CTP score and your MELD can help you track you disease better. But know that both score change constantly. It's not uncommon to go from one level to another and back again.

You can start from home By calling and asking your latest lab results especially for . Bilirubin, Albumin , Creatinine and INR. If you are having problems with Ascites (Fluid in the belly)? are they treating you with diuretics and diet? is that keeping it under control? Are you having problems with HE (Confusion)? Are they treating it with Lactulose? Is it under control? With theses answers you can figure your CTP score and MELD score. For the CTP Score look under articles here and it will explain how to figure it.

For your MELD score there is a calculator here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/meld/mayomodel6.html

02/16/2012 05:19 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

If you start calling and asking questions, they will eventually answer or find a doc who will. You have to be your own advocate most of the time and let them know you want all information and intend to have your questions answered.

02/16/2012 05:27 PM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

If you have an interactive patient link so that you can ask your doctor questions several days before your appointment it can help a lot. I just started doing that and now my PCP treats me like I might actually have some understanding of what is going on. Plus you can let him know what your fears and concerns are.

Peace and Joy to ALL

Paul

02/19/2012 04:29 PM
fantasy31

thank you for all your feed back i will be asking them for my lab tests as i have no idea what levels mine are xx

02/19/2012 07:43 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

Fantasy.

If you have been told you have Cirrhosis, then you are Satge 4

Don't let that panic you. Satge 4 just means that.

You have Cirrhosis.

Satge 1,2 or 3 are stages of liver disease, once it progresses to stage 4 then it is Cirrhosis.

The score you need to concerned yourself with is your MELD score.

That will tell you how bad or good your liver is working.

Good luck.

Sammy

02/20/2012 09:39 AM
prayer
prayer  

ask if they have an online "My Chart", cleveland clinic has this option and we love it, as soon as the test results get back they are downloaded into my husbands secured site, we dont have to ever call (we are over an hour away from them) and we can print them off for our records.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved