MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/10/2012 04:22 AM

very new to this..(page 4)

mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Ru: see "frequently asked links" to stage cirrhosis. CTP score.

Post edited by: mikealpha1, at: 04/10/2012 04:46 AM

--- The discussion has been locked ---

04/10/2012 07:12 AM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Thanks Mike!

04/10/2012 08:04 AM
hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

Ru-- Don't mean to hone in on your question to Marge (though I'm interested in her answer), but according to my info both from the internet and my PA-C, there are stages with cirrhosis as well as (with me, autoimmune hepatitis) liver disease. It's the same Stage-1, 2, 3, 4 (and I'm wondering if those are written with Roman numerals). What I am also wondering is if there's a difference between Stage-4 and "Final Stage".

04/10/2012 08:08 AM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

I think Mike said it best. The easiest way is not for ME to try to explain staging but to go to the site that has the CTP scoring on it. Mike posted the link under the 'articles' tab and also mysickliver site has info on scoring cirrhosis.

Cirrhosis is the last stage of liver disease in that prior stages are fibrosis and earlier damage prior to cirrhosis occuring, that architectural change in the liver itself but the CTP goes further. Check out Mike's link. It is alot clearer than I am.

MARG

04/10/2012 05:05 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hepto

stage 4 is the level of fibrosis needed to be classified as Cirrhosis. Everyone with a diagnosis of Cirrhosis is stage 4.

After that Cirrhosis is "classed" A ,B or C depending on it's severity this is the CTP score.

A= compensated Not to sick

B= Starting to decompensate having harder to manage complications (this is when most patients are referred for transplant eval.)

C= decompensated really sick and needing transplant

MELD score determines placement on the list

04/11/2012 06:04 AM
hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

Thanks, Gail. That clarifies things a lot, but I don't see my hepa referring me to a center any time soon, even though I'm probably at least a "B". And I don't want to sound like I'm prejudiced, but would the fact that he's Jewish have anything to do with it? I mean, I wonder if they have certain reservations about medicine than others?

04/11/2012 07:27 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Ok, I'm just gonna throw this out there.........Hepatomegaly, isn't this exactly what the managers of the group have been talking about 'hijacking threads'? I don't mean to minimize your question but shouldn't it have been a new discussion and not added to Dave's 'new to this thread'? This is getting really bothersome.

04/11/2012 08:42 AM
hepatomegaly
hepatomegaly  

P.B. -- Sorry, but when I see the words "very new to this", I figure there might be a LOT of info Dave might want to know. After all, the subject went first from drinking with the uncertainty of cirrhosis, then to labs, then to stages, etc.

I wasn't trying to "hijack" anyone's thread.

04/11/2012 09:02 AM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Hi Robyn - I'm curious too. And DEFINITELY NOT to mimimize Hepa putting her question where she did. It's one of the things that makes this site so easy to use and inviting.

In fact I was intrigued by the question about Jewish Medicine (I doubt I'm alone on that) and if she had put that in a PM we would have missed it, and subsequent answers. Since THIS particular topic involves many things isn't it okay to "go with the flow" like a conversation would?

If we can't, especially when the topic isn't specific such as this one, Members may get DETERRED from the site AND from POSTING!

HELP! What exactly are we suppossed to do? Ru

04/11/2012 09:17 AM
grandmere

Yes, I understand what Ruth is saying. I respectfully add that I am afraid to post for fear I will post the wrong comment in the wrong place.Could someone clarify this for me.I don't really understand. I wanted to ask what was meant by going off thread yesterday but I was reluctant because I am so new, post so infreguently but so appreciative of all the help I receive here and all the posts and everyone here. I especially think the group leaders are just so awesome and so helpful and always, always are there for us so I din't want to appear ungrateful or stupid so I wasn't going to bring it up. I just love & need this site, it is the best and the only one I frequent so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I hope this post doesn't upset anyone..that would bother me greatly. Respectfully and with gratitude...Maureen

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 4 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved