MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/07/2012 05:32 AM

Liver Transplant in Process Right Now

rsls80
rsls80  

I dont know how it happened but my dad and my family are truly blessed. My dad got accepted for a liver transplant and just last night he was told that he will get a Transplant a donor is available, since 10:00 PM he's been in surgery, It's 5:30 AM right now and still awaiting results hope all is OK. BTW: MELD Score was 39. Were are at UCLA Hospital

02/07/2012 07:32 AM
dmanflan
dmanflan  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Wow! Great news on a liver being available! Just in time too, MELD only goes up to 40! I couldn't see this earlier as current posts weren't showing up when I was able to be online before. I should think (and hope!) he is out of surgery by now. He will be kept sedated for a while just to let his body rest after the surgery--at least a day but could be more (I was "out" from when my surgery started Wed about 3AM until Friday afternoon.

Hang in there!!!

Dennis

02/07/2012 08:49 AM
TNFirefly
TNFirefly  

I DON'T KNOW YOU AND YOU DON'T KNOW ME BUT I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I NEEDED TO HEAR THIS RIGHT NOW! MY HUSBAND SHOULD GET APPROVED TOMORROW, HIS MELD IS 35 TODAY AND I AM WAS A BIT DOWN JUST NOW. I AM SO PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR DAD AND THE SURGEONS AND MEDICAL STAFF!!

Cynthia

02/07/2012 09:19 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
VIP Member

This is GREAT news! My surgery, like Dennis' started in the wee hours on a Wednesday. I became aware of what was going on the following day.

So happy for you!

02/07/2012 09:31 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

rsls80,

Sending tons of hugs and prayers for a uneventful recovery.Please let us know something when you are able.

02/07/2012 09:44 AM
Abc78

O wow! Good luck and best wishes to you Dad and your family in this time of need!

02/07/2012 10:16 AM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Great news! sending positive thoughts for steady surgical hands and a great recovery.

02/07/2012 11:37 AM
tabbtech
tabbtech  

Hi rsls80: This is great news, I'll continue to pray for all of you. I hope you may be able to give some info. about your experience at UCLA, as that is most likely where I'll be going if I ever need a transplant.

Paul

02/07/2012 11:55 AM
rsls80
rsls80  

Hello, Thank you all for your well wished and TNFirefly, hang in there youre only behind by a bit with my dad it's been a long journey and finally it came into place, his liver was so bad dialysis started to become an option and Lasix was a "no no" because of his kidneys, currently he is out of the O.R. however the procedure is incomplete all the parts of the new liver are put into place, except the bile ducts. My dad was bleeded excessively where they had to put a stop on it and resume another day, this is a method at UCLA that allows doctors to reduce the death on the O.R. table, my dad is on sedation, breathing tube, dialysis until the O.K. comes from the Dr. to proceed with the final part with the Surgery

02/07/2012 01:19 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
VIP Member

Good news, probably a little frustrating though. I'm glad they know enough to stop when necessary. Prayers that the bleeding is controlled so that they may finish up with no further complications.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved