MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/05/2012 03:25 PM

What do you all think about Travel with Cirrhosis?

sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

I was wondering what you all think about travelling with cirrhosis? I am thinking if my health holds out as it is now without getting worse, I would like to do a trip. Not sure how wise it would be though, to be out of the country.

I would like to take a trip this September with my husband. I would like to fly to San Francisco, spend a day or two there and then rent a car and drive the Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles. We would take a couple of days to do the PCH drive, then two or three days at Disneyland, then drive again down to San Diego to go to the zoo and seaworld then fly home. I'm thinking 10 days total. Doug has never been to California and I love it there. I would love to do the drive down the coast and enjoy what would probably be a big holiday for us.....

But I don't know if it is smart to leave the country when I have cirrhosis. I obviously wouldn't be able to go if I were any sicker than I am now...but if I remain fairly stable I would like to try it.

What do you all think about travel? Have you done it? How has it gone and what things were issues? If not what were reasons to stay closer to home? I'm so undecided and I don't know if it is a great idea (it would be a fabulous holiday) or if it is foolish to try to take on something like that with cirrhosis.

All opinions welcome!

Post edited by: sadlystillsane, at: 02/05/2012 03:27 PM

02/05/2012 03:53 PM
dachsiefan
dachsiefan  

I don't travel a lot. once a year, too see my parents in Fla. My Medicare supplement insurance would cover me iif I had an emergency medical situation away from home. You are in Canada, are you not? Will they cover any medical problems you may have in the U.S. That would be my big concern .

Susie

02/05/2012 03:53 PM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

Considering that my liver problems began pre-1990, that I'd had two biopsies by 1993 I'd say what the heck. In 1994 we went to St. Martin. By the time I was diagnosed with cirrhosis and alpha-1 in 2005 my liver was severely scarred. (I'd didn't check in between, because I wanted to make sure I could get life insurance before I was diagnosed with cirrhosis.) We traveled to Orlando, Phoenix (relatives), New Mexico(re-union), Orlando again (relatives) etc. So I don't see why not. We even went from Tulsa to New Mexico, driving, July before my transplant.

Be prepared for a little extra fatigue, and maybe get some support hose to help with possible development of edema in the legs. Plenty of fluid and book a flight. (You're welcome here anytime.)

02/05/2012 04:19 PM
prayer
prayer  

we were in the process of booking a vacation at Myrtle Beach this year until we heard that Steve has to have all the testing done, transplant team called and said he should be getting his package with all the info in a week or two. After the testing we will then try to at least go for a weekend trip in stateSmile Have fun but take it easy and get rest!

02/05/2012 07:16 PM
ruth8890
ruth8890  

Marg - I say go for it! You deserve it and guardian angels will be watching over you! If an emergency (family, friend, etc) forced you to travel I bet you would Smile Especially if they needed your help (I sense you're just that kind of Person!) So why not. If worse comes to worse can you fly back if you need to go to the hospital? I wish you well whatever you decide. Hugs! Ru P.S. Keep us posted!

02/05/2012 07:40 PM
sammy566
sammy566  

Are you kidding?

Go for it is right!

Just take it easy.

It's not like you are going to a third world country.

We have some of the best doctors in case of an emergency and you are really only a few hours away from home by plane anyway.

Bring your Rx's and copies of your medical records and avoid doing stupid stuff.

You will be fine.

Try and live your life to the fullest, we never know what the future will hold for us.

Good luck.

Sammy

02/05/2012 07:42 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

Last August, right after the biopsy but before diagnosis, I went on a 10 day road trip up Pacific Coast from Palm Springs to Bandon Oregon. My friend and I had a blast. We camped in tents most nights, spent 2 in hotels and one at my son's in Ashland, Oregon. I did the driving. She had back surgery one month before the trip so we took lots of breaks and walked, rested, read, hiked, toured some spots. It was wonderful and just what I needed to take my mine off things. I'm planning another road trip this summer to Oregon and a trip to Key West in 2013. I'm not going to stop living just because I might need an extra nap. As far as the medical coverage, check into that. I know my insurance will cover me even if I'm out of area.

You're trip will take you right past my house! We could do lunch!!

02/06/2012 03:18 AM
sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Thanks everyone!

I definetly would love to do it, and the U.S. is pretty much the only place I feel comfortable travelling besides Britian ( in case I did have a health issue). I've already been to Britian numerous times and I would love to see California again.....

I think if my health holds up it would be worth it, just need to check on my health insurance and be sure I would be covered if I needed care in the U.S. as it would bankrupt me if I wasn't covered and something happened. The good thing is my farthest point is only about 5 hours home via air.

Now the only other wrinkle is this: 20 years ago my husband was denied entry into Washington state. We are not sure if he will be allowed to enter now. I found out it is a one year and $600.00 application process for pre entry approval. That makes things a bit harder. We are going to Vancouver for a weekend wedding in July, maybe we should just try to cross there and see what happens. If they let him in there I imagine they would let him in again.....

Always a complication! If he couldn't go however, my best friend would take the trip with me....so I could still go!

02/13/2012 09:33 AM
IronCelt

While my "med team" still thought I might have liver cancer, I took a seven-day trip to London because my husband was working in Eastern Europe that semester and we agreed to meet "halfway." Unfortunately, that was when I first began to develop what became a chronic fungal infection. It was weird for me to try to deal with the British "chemist shop" protocols. I learned it would be best to investigate the particulars of medical care and provision across the border BEFORE going. At this point, I would travel only in my own country for very short spells IF I can coordinate the schedule for my one allowable antifungal refill per month. Which reminds me . . . I need to start a new discussion on the fungus among us....

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved