MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/07/2012 09:08 AM

ASCITES

sadlystillsane
sadlystillsane  

Just a question:

How to know for sure about ascites? Is it just watching the abdomen expand? Is there a certain feeling or pain or something associated with ascites?

I am going for an ultrasound on Wednesday to see if there is ascites to be drained but I was just wondering how else one would know......my weight is fluctuating quite a bit up and down, but my abdomen reminds me of when I was pregnant with the twins!!

Also how do you know if/when ascites is an emergency? What should I look for before Wednesday?

All help greatly appreciated. Smile

01/07/2012 10:03 AM
mikealpha1
mikealpha1  
Group Leader

With ascites I would expect a continual weight gain as you continue to retain fluid. Daily weight and a measurement around the abdomen can provide an indication. I had no pain, just uncomfortable, at the extreme it affected my breathing. My hepatologist treated it as more of providing comfort than an emergency situation.

01/08/2012 03:26 PM
1polarbear
1polarbear  

I was unaware I had ascitis until it was discovered with the MRI. My abdomen has been distended for the past couple of years and I just thought it was the menopause belly, even though I'd gone through menopause 10 years ago. But when they found it I also had swollen ankles. The last US I had 3 months after the MRI didn't show any ascitis. I did go on a very low sodium diet and increased my exercising, not sure if the ascitis is gone really or not. My abdomen continues to be distended but I was told it is more air than fluid and that I have some malabsorbtion going on when I eat, so only very small meals in the course of the day.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved